BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
chrwag
Calcite | Level 5

Hallo,

I have a data set with observations for several years (2010,2011,2012). So there is a variable year and some variables with premiums and so on. Now I try to process the data set and create particular variables for each year. e.g.

if uwyear = 2012 then do;

premium12 = premium;

ELSE DO;

premium12 = 0;

END;

This leads to a lot of coding which I try to avoid. My idea was to process the assignment statements in a loop. But I am stuck on how to create the variable names depending on the index variable.

DO i = 2010 to 2012;

premium&i = premium;

END;    

I tried a lot of combinations with rename and call symput.

Is there a way to this? Hope someone can help me.

Christoph

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
chrisj75
Calcite | Level 5

Ok... similar to before, use a PROC SQL to get the distinct years in the data, but instead create a list of variable names...

e.g.

proc sql ;

select distinct(cats('sale_',year(uwyear),'_rn')) into :VAR1 separated by ' ' ;

quit ;

%PUT &VAR1 ;

VAR1 resolves to

sale_10_rn sale_11_rn sale_12_rn

then use that to define the variables for an array, i.e. (assuming &MIN = 10, &MAX = 12)

array sale{&MIN,&MAX} &VAR1 ;

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
chrisj75
Calcite | Level 5

One solution is to use an array...

/* Simplest form, hard-coded years */
data new ;

set mydata ;

array py{2010:2012} premium2010-premium2012 ;

yr = year(uwyear) ;

py{yr} = premium ;

run ;

/* Dynamic, based on years within data, and initialize to zero */

proc sql ;
  select min(year(uwyear)) into :Y1 from mydata ;

selex max(year(uwyear)) into :Y2 from mydata ;

quit ;

data new ;

set mydata ;

array py{&Y1:&Y2} premium&Y1-premium&Y2 ;

/* Set to zero */

do i = lbound(py) to hbound(py) ;

py{i} = 0 ;

end ;

py{year(uwyear)} = premium ;

run ;

chrwag
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Chris,

Your reply was very helpful. Thanks. To avoid writing several array statements (in my case up to 13) I used a multidimensional array.

%let min = 11;

%let max = 13;

array arr{2,20&min:20&max} net_qu&min-net_qu&max sale_nb&min-sale;

arr{1,uwyear} = net_qu;

arr{2,uwyear} = sale_nb;

So next year I just have to change my min and max values. 🙂

But there are still some variables that seems not that easy to handle. Here the year is in the middle of the variable. e.g. sale_11_rn .  So I can't use a numbered range list. The people worked on this report before loved it to hard code everything. Maybe there is also a nice trick to avoid hard coding all the variables without change the names?

Christoph

chrisj75
Calcite | Level 5

Ok... similar to before, use a PROC SQL to get the distinct years in the data, but instead create a list of variable names...

e.g.

proc sql ;

select distinct(cats('sale_',year(uwyear),'_rn')) into :VAR1 separated by ' ' ;

quit ;

%PUT &VAR1 ;

VAR1 resolves to

sale_10_rn sale_11_rn sale_12_rn

then use that to define the variables for an array, i.e. (assuming &MIN = 10, &MAX = 12)

array sale{&MIN,&MAX} &VAR1 ;

Hope that helps.

ballardw
Super User

It may be a pain but it could pay lots of dividends to change naming systems like sale_11_rn sale_12_rn to sale_rn_11 sale_rn_12. Every time I've gotten involved with a middle of variable scheme with chaning numbers it has lead to lots of headaches.

I'm also paranoid having had to deal with Y2K coding and would recommend using 4 digit year naming so there is no confusion in the inevitable stem_11_12 type named variable.

chrwag
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry for my late response.

@chris:

Thanks. The Proc sql solution helped a lot.

@ballardw:

Of Course to change the variable names would be the best solution. But due to a lot of dependencies changing names is not that easy in this case.

Have a good weekend.

Christoph

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation