BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Rens
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear SAS users,

SAS offers a point-and-click system to create a time ID variable from a certain starting date using a particular frequency (e.g. weeks, quarters, years).

Since I need to do this proces repeatedly, I like to use a code as it makes things much easier. My data covers 1985-2005 and is divided into quarters (which gives 21 years * 4 quarters = 84 observations).

The date variable column should look like this (or any other number which can be formated into a date):

Date:

1985/1

1985/2

1985/3

1985/4

etc.

Does anyone know how to write a code for this?

Thank you very much in advance!

Rens (a postgraduate student in sociology)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, my original code was creating a text field that looked like the data you had provided.  If you are ok with the SAS quarter value then change to:

data want;
 do year=1985 to 2005;
   do quater=1 to 4;
     year_quarter=input(cats(put(year,4.),"Q",put(quater,1.)),yyq8.);
     output;
   end;
 end;
 format year_quarter yyq8.;
run;

As for the second code, will need to have a look, perhaps a by group or something.  Will post when I get a chance to look at it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

I have no idea about a point & click system, or what software you are using, but in base SAS you could do:

data want;
  do year=1985 to 2005;
do quater=1 to 4;
year_quarter=cats(put(year,4.),"/",put(quater,1.));
output;
end;
end;
run;

So a loop over your years, and then for each year, a loop over the quaters.  It may be possible to shrink the code somewhat, or use a procedure, but I feel the above code shows the process more clearly.

slangan
Obsidian | Level 7

You can use a YYQxw. format. I think that yyqs8. looks a lot like the format you want. The data will stay as a SAS date value, but it gives you the desired look.

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrdict/64316/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a002231398.htm

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Yes, I never have to deal with quaters, so I forget those formats.   To change the loop slightly to get:

data want;
  do year_qtr=input("1985Q01",yyq9.) to input("2005Q04",yyq9.);
      output;
  end;
run;
Rens
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you very much. This second loop does does create a sas date variable (which can be formated like i want), but does it for every day. So I get more than 600000 observation, whereas only 84 are needed.

The first loop creates a file with only 84 observation, but the 'year_quarter' variable is not formattable as a sas date. Normally I indeed use the yyqs8. format to change a sas date into the desired form (like this: format year_quarter yyqs8.; )

Is there perhaps a solution? Many thanks again.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, my original code was creating a text field that looked like the data you had provided.  If you are ok with the SAS quarter value then change to:

data want;
 do year=1985 to 2005;
   do quater=1 to 4;
     year_quarter=input(cats(put(year,4.),"Q",put(quater,1.)),yyq8.);
     output;
   end;
 end;
 format year_quarter yyq8.;
run;

As for the second code, will need to have a look, perhaps a by group or something.  Will post when I get a chance to look at it.

Rens
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks! This is the solution. With this loop I can create a date ID variable and, subsequently, merge all my observations into it. I just checked to be sure, but the SAS time series procedures also recognize this date variable for different types of analyses.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation