BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mbenedet
Calcite | Level 5

Hi everyone...sorry for the simplistic question, but I am a brand new (and I do mean new!) user to SAS. Just trying to pull some data and create an output showing number of records in each category. Example of data to be pulled:

Activity Date

Line of Business

Physician Association

Member Count

When I retrieve the data and sum by Member Count for each Physician Association, I then need to know how many of those Physician Associations fall under the following categories:

0 - 100 members

101 - 500 members

501 - 1000 members

1001 - 5000 members

5001 or greater

Is there a simple way to modify the query to accomplish this task?

Mike

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

Assuming you have created a table or dataset with the counts per association I would normally use procs format and freq.

Instead of modifying query add as one way:

proc format library=work;

value members

0 - 100      = '   0 - 100 members'

101 - 500  = ' 101 - 500 members'
501 - 1000 = ' 501 - 1000 members'   

1001 - 5000 = '1001 - 5000 members

5001 - high = '5001 or more members'

;

run;

/*assuming MemberCount holds the sum of members for each association, use your variable name*/

proc freq data=<your data set name>;

table MemberCount ;

format MemberCount members.;

run;

mbenedet
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your reply. I copied the code and pasted below for what I have so far and all it does is group the data by Physician Association with their total member count. Are you saying I should add all of the code in your reply (starting with proc format library=work; to the end run; statement) to the bottom of my code to make it work?

%_eg_conditional_dropds(WORK.QUERY950);

PROC SQL;

CREATE TABLE WORK.QUERY950 AS SELECT DISTINCT SF_PROF_MEMBERDATA_201206.activity_date,

SF_PROF_MEMBERDATA_201206.master_ipa,

SF_PROF_MEMBERDATA_201206.sf_lob

FROM SERVFUND.SF_PROF_MEMBERDATA_201206 AS SF_PROF_MEMBERDATA_201206

GROUP BY SF_PROF_MEMBERDATA_201206.activity_date, SF_PROF_MEMBERDATA_201206.master_ipa, SF_PROF_MEMBERDATA_201206.sf_lob;

QUIT;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation