BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mk5
Calcite | Level 5 mk5
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I am trying to check the sample sizes (number of non-missing values) for both a categorical and quantitative variable, within a macro, and print a subtitle if either of them is less than 30. I have tried probably 30 variations of assigning the sample sizes to macro variables  and always have some kind of error.

%macro ttest2(dsn= , quantvar= , catvar= , siglev= , doplot= );
     %let s1 = %sysfunc(count(&quantvar));
     %let s2 = %sysfunc(count(&catvar));
    %if (&s1 < 30 or &s2 < 30) %then %do;
          title2 "Warning: sample sizes of &s1 and &s2 may be too small for valid inference";
     %end;

If anyone could tell me how to assign the sample sizes to variables within my macro, I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
Astounding
PROC Star

As a general rule, macro language does not process data.  It constructs programming statements.  So the %LET statements have nothing to do with the contents of any variables in any SAS data sets.

What values are you hoping to assign to S1 and S2?

mk5
Calcite | Level 5 mk5
Calcite | Level 5

I want s1 to be the number of nonmissing values for the given quantitative variable, and s2 to be the number of nonmissing values for the given categorical variable. I am supposed to find these within the macro. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@mk5 wrote:

I want s1 to be the number of nonmissing values for the given quantitative variable, and s2 to be the number of nonmissing values for the given categorical variable. I am supposed to find these within the macro. 

Then have the macro generate some SAS code that could find those counts for you.

%local s1 s2 ;
proc sql noprint;
%let s1=0;
%let s2=0;
select count(&quantvar)
     , count(&catvar)
  into :s1 trimmed
     , :s2 trimmed
  from &dsn 
;
quit;
%if (&s1 < 30 or &s2 < 30) %then %do;
  title2 "Warning: sample sizes of &s1 and &s2 may be too small for valid inference";
%end;
... rest of macro code ...

If you mean the number of distinct non-missing values then add the DISTINCT keyword inside the COUNT() aggregate function.

count(distinct &quantvar)

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@mk5

Always try to first write your code without macro and only when that works wrap macro code around. As others already wrote: SAS Macros don't process SAS tables. They are mainly use to implement dynamic code.

Here a way to go:

data _null_;
    set &dsn end=last;
    array _NonMiss [2] 8 _temporary_;
    _NonMiss[1]=sum(_NonMiss[1],missing(&quantvar) = 0);
    _NonMiss[2]=sum(_NonMiss[2],missing(&catvar) = 0);
    if last then
      do;
        call symputx('s1',_NonMiss[1], l);
        call symputx('s2',_NonMiss[2], l);
      end;
  run;

%if (%eval(&s1 < 30) or %eval(&s2 < 30)) %then 
    %do;
      title2 "Warning: sample sizes of &quantvar and &catvar may be too small for valid inference";
    %end;
  %else 
    %do;
      title2 "all good";
    %end;
  proc print data=sashelp.class(obs=1);
  run;
%mend;

data sampleDS1 sampleDS2;
  set sashelp.class;
  if _n_>10 then call missing(age);
  output; output;
  output sampleDS2;
run;

%ttest2(
  dsn=sampleDS1 , 
  quantvar=age , 
  catvar=name 
  );

%ttest2(
  dsn=sampleDS2 , 
  quantvar=age , 
  catvar=name 
  );

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation