Count distinct customers between dates

Occasional Contributor

Count distinct customers between dates

Hi everyone,

So my doubt is probably simple to everyone here (but probably not so simple as it appears in the subject): I have a table with 3 columns: CustomerNumber,DateofPurchase, OrderID. Dates are between 25DEC2011 to 31DEC2012 and can, obviously, repeat according to the # of different customers and orders on that date. Same reasoning to Customer ID (he can have bought more than 1 product on the same date).

What I need: I want to have a table with 366 rows (corresponding to 366 days of 2012) with the number of distinct customers that bought at least a product from us on that week (rule is something as a count distinct between that date and that date minus 7 days). But I want this on a daily basis. In other words:

- For the row of 01JAN2012 I would like to have the # of distinct customers that bought between 26DEC2011 and 01JAN2012.

- For the row of 02JAN2012 I would like to have the # of distinct customers that bought between 27DEC2011 and 02JAN2012.

and so on so on up to 31DEC2012.

Tks,

Stu

Respected Advisor

Re: Count distinct customers between dates

Of course not tested, something along the line with the following may send you onto the right track:

proc sql;

create table want as

select a.DateofPurchase, count(distinct  b.CustomerNumber)  from have a

left join have b

on 0<= a.DateofPurchase - b.DateofPurchase <=6

group by a.DateofPurchase

;

quit;

Haikuo

Super User

Re: Count distinct customers between dates

You'd better post some sample data .

proc sql;

create table want as

select a.DateofPurchase,(select count(*) from have where DateofPurchase between a.DateofPurchase-7 and a.DateofPurchase )

from (select distinct DateofPurchase from have) as a ;

quit;

Ksharp

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation