BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jmcbroo
Calcite | Level 5

I can't covert all of my data into numeric in SAS version 9. I cleaned all my data and made the character values numerical manually and now I'm trying to get the proc contents to read it as numerical so I can perform statistical tests. This is the code I have been using

logcode.PNG

I used proc print to check that my data was correct. NEWLOG2 refers to the new variable that is numeric and LOG2 is the original edited variable that now has all numerical values. 1.59 was original included text but won't covert over numerically in the new variable. PLEASE HELP!!!!

newlog.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

Your code and words refer to NEWLOG1 but your image shows NEWLOG2 and LOG2?

jmcbroo
Calcite | Level 5
Sorry I changed it. Will be doing this for all my character variables.
Reeza
Super User

Where does your data originate from? A text, XLSX, SAS file?

jmcbroo
Calcite | Level 5

REDCAP - then exported into excel - then exported into SAS. Excel is the main source.

Reeza
Super User

Redcap can generate a CSV file instead - if the file is in the same format everytime and you're doing this often I'd strongly suggest fixing the import step instead of manually recoding things. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Did you get errors from the INPUT() function for the lines that generated missing values?

Either your values are right aligned so that the first 5 characters do not have any value or they have some "invisible" characters that are causing the text to not look like numbers.

First,  use  32.  or even better COMMA32. as your INFORMAT.  (Note BEST is a FORMAT and not an INFORMAT).

Second remove the spaces and/or non digits from the string.

data want ;
  infile cards truncover ;
  input str $char50. ;
  if _n_=1 then str='A0'x||str;
  if _n_=2 then str=strip(str)||'0D'x;
  num1 = input(str,??5.);
  num2 = input(compress(str,'($,ED.)','kd'),??comma32.);
  put num1= best9. @15 num2=best9. @30 str=:$quote.;
cards;
1.234E3
(123,345)
;
num1=.        num2=3456      str=" 3456"
num1=.        num2=4567      str="4567
"
num1=456.1    num2=456.123   str="456.123"
num1=.        num2=5677      str="          5677"
num1=1.234    num2=1234      str="1.234E3"
num1=.        num2=-123345   str="(123,345)"

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation