BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
hbergen
Calcite | Level 5

I am hoping there is an easy solution to this that I'm overlooking, but here is my problem:

I have a CHARACTER value stored as '8.8242e+13'

I would like to convert this to a character value stored as '88242000000000'

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

2 REPLIES 2
Astounding
PROC Star

The conversions aren't difficult, although you may need to consider a couple of questions.  How many characters should be used to store the final character variable?  Should the results be left-justified or right-justified?  Here's one approach:

new_variable = put( input(old_variable,10.), best14.);

Good luck.

_maldini_
Barite | Level 11

@Astounding

I have a similar question.

I have a variable whose values are numbers. Some of the values are listed in scientific notation, the majority are simply strings of numbers. I want the variable to be numeric and w/o the scientific notation.

When I read-in the data using a DATA step, and apply a character informat ($20.), the numbers no longer have the scientific notation. Great, except when I convert the character variable to numeric, the scientific notation returns.

numeric_Part_FB_ID = INPUT (Part_FB_ID, BEST32.);

When I read-in the data and apply a numeric informat (BEST32.), the values are listed in scientific notation.

What am I doing wrong here? 

Thanks!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation