BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tyi7689okt
Calcite | Level 5

I have a .ssd01 file I need to convert to a .sas7bdat file.

I initially tried to do this on linux (where the file was created), but it appears there is no v6 engine in Linux 9.4:

http://support.sas.com/kb/34/762.html

So I attempted it on windows (using data step, proc copy), but SAS on windows does not recognize the files because they were created in Linux.

http://support.sas.com/kb/44/490.html

I have also tried proc cport/cimport and xport, but they seem to require me to use v6 (they say the file does not exist, or the directory is empty).

Does anyone know a way to accomplish this?

8 REPLIES 8
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
As per the note, it couldn't been created in Linux. You need to figure out on what platform it was created.
Where did you the file?
Data never sleeps
tyi7689okt
Calcite | Level 5

It was from a server where we keed archived files.  So there's no way for me to convert it just using windows or linux?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I'd suggest opening a track with SAS Tech Support on this. They may be able to identify the operating system the file was originally created if you can provide a copy for them.

According to the following reference the V6 dataset was created on HP-UX, Sun, Solaris, AIX, or MIP ABI Unix and would have been SAS version 6.09 / 6.10 / 6.11  / 6.12. Linux wasn't supported by SAS then.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/movefile/59598/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a000987012.htm

ballardw
Super User

The first support note tells you exactly what the SAS solution would be: To circumvent the problem, convert SAS data sets to the V9 format using SAS 9.xx on an operating system for which there was a SAS 6.xx release.

That would likely also involve a 32 bit system not 64.

Another option is there are some older file format translation problems that may be able to turn the SSD to another format though likely not the latest sasybdat. I would suggest making a CSV file and importing that. Maybe something like DBMSCopy.

Or see if your data source happens to have an original text file and programs to remake the set from scratch.

tyi7689okt
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I ended up finding an archived transfer file of the dataset I was able to use. 

renzhexiaohou
Calcite | Level 5

Hi:

I'm from China, yubo Xiao an student in a research group in university.

Now i met the same problem as you described in this forum. And the data is important for our research (the data was from 20+ years ago). I have tried several ways but it did't seem to be done (including different version of sas had been used excepted 9.2 32bit SAS).

Might you provide some information or methods about how to complete the data conversion.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best,

yubo

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

You can open the file in notepad to ascertain how it was created.

The header will contain something like this:

Capture.PNG

There is binary information, but also a string showing the platform and SAS version used for creation.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation