BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AnandSahu
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

Can we convert a number into a sas date for example I have a number i.e. 375 want to calculate a date on this given day without using format.

Regards

Anand

3 REPLIES 3
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Really depends.  What does 375 mean?  Is it days since Jan2014, minutes since midday??

AnandSahu
Calcite | Level 5

This is just a number. Actually it was asked in an interview to me. I told them by using format, a can be converted by this number but they marked my answer as incorrect. So that is why I am approaching this community whether in actual a number can be converted in to date without using a format or informat statement.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, if you look at the documentation around SAS storage of dates/times you will see that they are indeed a number, dates for example are the number of days since January 1, 1960.  So if we assume that the 375 is a date, then we would need to do 01JAN1960 + 375 days = 10JAN1961.  You can check this with the small bit of code below.  Not sure why the format was a fail, maybe because you didn't explain the underlying mechanics?

data temp;

attrib d1 d2 format=date9. d3 format=best.;

d1='01JAN1960'd;

d2=intnx('day',d1,375,'same');

d3=375;

format d3 date9.;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation