BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
avenn98
Calcite | Level 5

I know the title doesn't explain much. It's a hard thing to describe. I used to have the code somewhere, so I know it's possible, but I've lost it.

I put out a survey, in which people were allowed to select more than one answer. When downloaded as a CSV, it just put all of the choices each individual selected in a semicolon-delimited list. That's kind of hard to analyze, so I'd like to split it up into many variables that are either yes or no. So, if the individual selected one of the answers, then the variable for that option would be yes. I hope that makes sense. This is what the variable looks like, if it helps!

Capture.PNG

Thank you! It was really useful code, and I hate that I lost it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Here is an example of what I think you want.

data want;
   set have;
   Brigitte = (index(longstring,'D.va/Brigitte')>0);
run;

Which will assign 1 (true when the full string is found in the "longstring" variable) or 0 (false).

The numeric forms are much nicer than Yes/No coding as you can sum the variables to get counts of yes and means to get a decimal percentage of yes. Also some forms of modeling require numeric values.

You would have one line for each of the variables you want to assign. I assumed that the comma in the picture separated the values of interest since there were no semicolons shown. An alternate approach would consist of a temporary array holding the search values and then an array of the variable names and a loop over the values in the temporary array and the whichc function to know which of the array of yes/no variables to set to yes after defaulting to no (0). But I am not going to type that much from a picture.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

Here is an example of what I think you want.

data want;
   set have;
   Brigitte = (index(longstring,'D.va/Brigitte')>0);
run;

Which will assign 1 (true when the full string is found in the "longstring" variable) or 0 (false).

The numeric forms are much nicer than Yes/No coding as you can sum the variables to get counts of yes and means to get a decimal percentage of yes. Also some forms of modeling require numeric values.

You would have one line for each of the variables you want to assign. I assumed that the comma in the picture separated the values of interest since there were no semicolons shown. An alternate approach would consist of a temporary array holding the search values and then an array of the variable names and a loop over the values in the temporary array and the whichc function to know which of the array of yes/no variables to set to yes after defaulting to no (0). But I am not going to type that much from a picture.

avenn98
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you!! That's exactly the code I lost. 

Reeza
Super User
Check the survey tool you used. There's usually options that will either split or combine them into one field.
art297
Opal | Level 21

As long as your CSV file doesn't contain a header record, and none of your variables have a length greater than 32 characters, and don't contain any special characters or embedded spaces, the code like the following might work:

/* import data */
proc import datafile='/folders/myfolders/have.csv'
            out=need dbms=csv replace;
  getnames=no;
run;

/* get a list of all vars */
data unique (keep=variable);
  set need;
  length variable $32;
  array vars(*) $32. var:;
  do i=1 to dim(vars);
    if vars(i) ne '' then do;
      variable=vars(i);
      output;
    end;
    else leave;
  end;
run;

/* Create a macro variable to initialize all variables */
proc sql noprint;
  select distinct catt(variable,'=0;'), variable
    into :vars separated by ' '
      from unique
  ;
quit;

/* create desired output dataset */
data _null_ (drop=i var:);
  set need end=last;
  array vars(*) $32. var:;
  length forexec $255;
  &vars.;
  if _n_ eq 1 then call execute ("data want(drop=var:); set need; &vars.");
  do i=1 to dim(vars);
    if vars(i) ne '' then do;
      forexec=catt(vars(i),'=1;');
      call execute(forexec);
    end;
    else leave;
  end;
  call execute('output;');
  if last then call execute('run;');
run;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation