BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Kojimasan
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

So I have a variable called 'Vintage', it's in the format of YYMMD7.

Vintage has values such as '2011-02' or 2009-03'.

Then I have a variable called OriginalTerm in the format of 11.

It's basically numbers in months format, so if the value of 60 is displayed for the observation, I want a new variable called 'ConvertedOriginalTerm' to be converting the number 60 into years/months, so 60 should be displayed 5 years - 0 months.

I'm looking at IDs from january 2015. 

If account 45A has originalterm 60, vintage of '2009-02', then convertedoriginalterm should display 5 years - months. 

And another variable shows the MonthsRemaining on the loan, so from 2011-01 to january 2015, the account still has 12 months left, and i want this new varaible 'MonthsRemainign' to display 12.

I hope i was clear

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kojimasan
Fluorite | Level 6

Apparently, there was another variable which had exactly what I was looking for in another dataset and just joined it with my present one. Thanks guys

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

Do you want your convertedoriginalterm  to be character?

From your problem description I have no Idea why you include: I'm looking at IDs from january 2015. 

Or any other date information if the sole bit of result is to take a numeric value, divide by 12 to get months and then take the remainder.

Does this show the correct results for 1 to 60 values of your original item:

data junk;
  do x=1 to 60;
  result = catx(' ',round(x/12,1),'years',mod(x,12),'months');
  output;
  end;
run;
Kojimasan
Fluorite | Level 6

Good question, I want the convertedoriginalterm to be a number. Perhaps split it into, convertedoriginalyears, and convertedoriginalmonths?

The code you gave , has these results:

Obs x result 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

10 years 1 months
20 years 2 months
30 years 3 months
40 years 4 months
50 years 5 months
61 years 6 months
71 years 7 months
81 years 8 months
91 years 9 months
101 years 10 months
111 years 11 months
121 years 0 months

ballardw
Super User

@Kojimasan wrote:

Good question, I want the convertedoriginalterm to be a number. Perhaps split it into, convertedoriginalyears, and convertedoriginalmonths?

The code you gave , has these results:

Obs x result 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

1 0 years 1 months
2 0 years 2 months
3 0 years 3 months
4 0 years 4 months
5 0 years 5 months
6 1 years 6 months
7 1 years 7 months
8 1 years 8 months
9 1 years 9 months
10 1 years 10 months
11 1 years 11 months
12 1 years 0 months

Since your request was:

If account 45A has originalterm 60, vintage of '2009-02', then convertedoriginalterm should display 5 years - months. 

That's what I aimed for. Show your expected results explicitly or you get unexpected results.

Kojimasan
Fluorite | Level 6

I tried this, this is a step in the right direction but now I want to add the length of this original termyears and orignaltermmonths to the vintage date.

convertedoriginalyears = floor(originalterm/12);
convertedoriginalmonths = originalterm-(12*convertedoriginalyears);

Kojimasan
Fluorite | Level 6

Apparently, there was another variable which had exactly what I was looking for in another dataset and just joined it with my present one. Thanks guys

MaksimK
Calcite | Level 5

It is a step in the right direction. Below is the example. m - integer number of month converted to "X years Y month". 

50 4 years 2 months
51 4 years 3 months
58 4 years 10 months
59 4 years 11 months
60 5 years 0 months

data m_to_ym;
  do m=1 to 60;
    result = catx(' ', floor(m/12), 'years', m - floor(m/12)*12, 'months');
    output;
  end;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation