BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MarkBrooker
Calcite | Level 5

I have recently started work at a company that has SAS (Base and Enterprise Guide) and Oracle. A colleague uses the SAS "pass through" facility to bring data from Oracle into SAS. When I try to use his code for connecting to the Oracle database I get an error that simply says "Oracle connection error". He doesn't know what the problem is and the IT department have been unable to resolve the issue so far. Does anyone here have experience of using SAS with an Oracle database? What might the problem be?

7 REPLIES 7
FriedEgg
SAS Employee

Can you provide the full error message?

umashankersaini
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

You need to check several things :

1. Base SAS or SAS EG which one is having permission to connect to Oracle means installed SAS on your ID or VM has permission to connect to Oracle or not...

2. Need to verify the 'username' and 'password'.

3. Now explicit facility code is running on your machine, Need to check that your ID is authorized to access the database or not.

It would be great,, if you can provide us the full error message...

Regards

Uma Shanker Saini

www.sascertguru.com

MarkBrooker
Calcite | Level 5

There is no code/number associated with the error. It is just "ORACLE connection error", which isn't very helpful.

dhana
Fluorite | Level 6

Try re-setting your password in oracle and use the new password in your pass through query. I used to get this error in Teradata, but the problem was my TD password got expired.

So give it a try.

Regards

Dhana

Ksharp
Super User

Maybe your Oracle database is in the sleeping mode.

Scott_Mitchell
Quartz | Level 8

Have you checked tnsnames.ora to ensure that the connection has been set up?

umashankersaini
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

Please try all the options and suggestions given above. it could be only with password and authorization part..

Regards

Uma Shanker Saini

http://www.sascertguru.com/2014/05/implicit-and-explicit-pass-through.html

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation