Configuring SAS for optimal processing during 15k iteration bootstrap

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Configuring SAS for optimal processing during 15k iteration bootstrap

Hello,

I need to run a 15,000 iteration bootstrap on a sample that has around 11,000 observations and 260 fields.  I ran a very similar program last year with the same iterations and observations, but only ~30 fields.  It took around 24 hours to complete.  This year, with the increased fields, it is taking unbelievably long, its been 2 days and only around 3,000 iterations have processed.  I am assuming the increased number of fields is causing the extra time, but I can't be sure.  So, my question is, are there options that can decrease the processing time, such as bufno= ?  My research has come up mixed in terms of whether or not this is useful for so many iterations. 

This is my first questions so I'm not sure how much more information to provide.  I appreciate any help SAS users can provide, either specific to my question or in terms of the best way to configure SAS when running so many iterations.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎09-25-2013 03:22 PM
SAS Super FREQ

Re: Configuring SAS for optimal processing during 15k iteration bootstrap

Chapter 15 of Simulating Data with SAS describes how to bootstrap efficiently in SAS. If you don't have a copy of my book, then see Cassell (2007), which uses many of the same ideas.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎09-25-2013 03:22 PM
SAS Super FREQ

Chapter 15 of Simulating Data with SAS describes how to bootstrap efficiently in SAS. If you don't have a copy of my book, then see Cassell (2007), which uses many of the same ideas.

Respected Advisor

has given you good advice.

I suspect your program works like this....

for 15,000 iterations

1. take a sample
  2. compute compute compute
  3. add results of this iteration to a data set some where.

end

You will be home for dinner if you

1. use SURVEYSELECT to make sample data with 15,000 samples.
  2. compute compute compute BY SAMPLE.

Do you really need 15,000 samples?

Show your work and we can help you fix it while you wait on books to arrive.

SAS Super FREQ

Would you like to share what statistic you are bootstrapping? Since the computations depend on the number of variables, I am assuming some kind of multivariate statistic. Correlation? Regression? Something else?

New Contributor

Hi Rick,

Thanks so much for your response, the SUGI paper you directed me to looks very useful.  I will make changes and am hopeful this will help.

Since you asked, I am modeling healthcare expenditures by disease, which involves running a probit regression to find the probability that a person's spending is greater than zero (DV=spending dummy, IV=260 disease dummies plus 20 demographic variables), running an OLS regression on people with spending (DV=log expenditures, IVs=260 disease dummies), then using the probability and OLS coefficients to determine the share of spending for each disease, for each person, for each year.  I sum over diseases to find total spending by disease, find per patient expenditures, then I create an overall price index (over nine years).  Obviously this is just a quick summary, but that is the gist of what I'm doing.

The bootstrap is the first part of finding bias-corrected and accelerating confidence intervals, the second step involves jackknifing.

Again, thanks so much for your response.

SAS Super FREQ

Sounds interesting. You might also want to look at the %BOOT and %JACK macros. There are also various bootstrap confidence intervals available in the %BOOTCI macro. See 24982 - Jackknife and Bootstrap Analyses

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation