Condense observations

Occasional Contributor

Condense observations

[ Edited ]

hi all,

i am not getting this please resolve this i want this obesrvations into one oservation how to get this

data like this,

pid        subj         date1                date2               date3              date4               compliant1    comliant2      compaint3      complaint4
1            10      12-01-2016      12-01-2016      12-01-2016    12-01-2016              same                                 same2
1            10      12-01-2016      12-01-2016       12-01-2016                                                        same                                    same2

how to get this one into one observation please give me your suggestion please i want want like this

pid        subj         date1                date2               date3              date4               compliant1    comliant2      compaint3      complaint4
1            10      12-01-2016      12-01-2016      12-01-2016    12-01-2016              same            same             same2           same2

Esteemed Advisor

Re: Condense observations

With just one example, it's hard to sugest a solution.

What variables can be missing?

Is there a chance for both observation have different non-missing values in the same variable?

What is the unique key - how do you define whicj row to condense?

Data never sleeps
Valued Guide

Are the two observations always either missing or equal? Smiley Happy

Please provide more information

Super User

[ Edited ]

You have two sets of variables, grouping variables (PID & SUBJ) and other vars (2 sets of 4 vars).   It looks to me like you want to examine the sequence of all records in a given PID/SUBJ group, and the generate one record with the latest non-missing value of the other vars.

If so then this code (untested) should do what you want. 

Notes:

1. The coalesce function take the list of numeric arguments from left to right, and returns the first one that is non-missing. COALESCEC does the same for character arguments.
  2. The TMP arrays get the cumulative results as the each record is read in.  At the end-of-group, the orignal vars get data back from the TMP arrays.
  3. When you see statments like "array date {4};" with no variable names after the dimension specification, it tells SAS to use vriables named DATE1, DATE2, DATE3, and DATE4 as array references date{1},date{2],date{3}, and date{4}, respectively.

regards,

Mark

data want (drop=tmp: I);

array tmpdate      {4} ;  /* Temporary storage of non-missing dates */
  array tmpcomplaint {4} $20;

do until (last.subj);
    set have;
    by pid subj;
    array date {4};
    array complaint{4};

do I=1 to 4;
       tmpdate{I}     =coalesce(date{I},tmpdate{I});