BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Almighty
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi

Currently, our SAS programs call several macros.  Per FDA request sponsor has to submit executable non-macro programs.  Is there a way/option to convert programs without calling macros.  I tried to using MPRINT and MFILE - with these options only macros are written into another file but not the original code in the program.

Can gurus help?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I would be surprised if the use of macros was prohibited. I think they want you to supply all macro code, and probably have the macro definitions contained in every single .sas program file you submit, so that reviewing the code is simpler.

There are lots of proper uses for macros to make code writing efficient.

What I (as a reviewer) would never tolerate is the use of compiled macros with hidden code.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Is this actually a requirement now?  Last I heard they were debating it, and the analysis reviewers guide (or other doc) should show the model or logic used in the code, but actual executable code itself wasn't required.  It would be interesting if it is, as we for instance have a lot of old compiled hidden macro libraries from third parties - who will refuse to provide you with code - which don't work anymore.  

If it is the case, then even more reason to insist on completely open source, plain text files for all code.

So I would check what "submit executable non-macro programs" exactly means, to me non-macro means you would need to expand all the code which isn't worth anyone's time doing, nor would help anyone.  Much more likely they want to see some algorithms.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation