BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jdmarshg
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm looking to change identical settings to child jobs within SAS DI studio.

Looking for verification regarding using a find and replace by changing the Code generation mode: to user written body.

Then doing the find an replace.

My question is that does this mode still process what is processed in Automatic mode.

Just a sanity check.

Regards,

Jonathan

5 REPLIES 5
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

If you change from automatic to user written body then the initial code you get is still fully working doing the same as before. Once you change the code there is no going back to automatic mode and you loose a lot of the advantages DI Studio gives you.

I would only go for user written if you absolutely must. May be if you explain us in detail what you need to do (and why) someone can come up with an approach which doesn't require changing over to user written.

jdmarshg
Obsidian | Level 7

Hey Patrick,

The reason I change to user written body is when changing code that is the same in many child jobs.

I have started incorporating includes and more parameters to try to make sure this isn't necessary but not completely.

One example is the table loader for say like 50 child jobs.

They all have expressions for x amount of columns.

Instead of copy and pasting for each child job I was looking for a solution to change that in the code by using a search and replace.

Our team is still going through a migration and we are trying to make changes as quickly as possible.

What are your thoughts?

Jonathan

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Not sure if I understand the concept fully, but I agree with Patrick, user written is seldom best practice, and reduces the value of your DI investment. There are many other better ways to resuse code.

• Job in job
  • Smaller parmeterized jobs
  • User written Transformation
Data never sleeps
Andy90
Calcite | Level 5

On the contrary, it is seldom best practice to deploy generated code to a production environment. Only in cases where inefficient use of resources is permissible - perhaps because of the lack of qualified programmers, or due to underused servers or databases (not likely, but theoretically possible) - should code that is designed to be quick and easy to produce without knowledge of programming and optimization techniques be used in production.

jdmarshg
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you guys for your input this has been very helpful.

Much appreciated.

Jonathan

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation