BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mdk31
Calcite | Level 5

I'm trying to design a discrete choice experiment survey using the code from Kuhfeld's Marketing Research Methods with SAS 9.  

https://support.sas.com/techsup/technote/mr2010.pdf

Here is my code:

title 'Water'

%mktruns(2 2 2 4 2)
%mktex(2 2 2 4 2, n=64)

proc format;
value provider 1 = 'public utility' 2 = 'private seller';
value measure 1 = 'tanker' 2 = 'tap';
value payment 1 = 'upfront' 2 = 'after';
value price 1 = '500' 2 = '1500' 3 = '2500' 4 = '3500';
value quality 1 = 'raw' 2 = 'safe';
run;

%mktlab(data=design,
		vars=Provider Measure Payment Price Quality,
		int=f1-f2,
		out=final,
		stmts=format provider provider. measure measure. payment payment. price price. quality quality.)

proc print; run;

%macro res;
bad=(quality = safe & price = 500)
%mend;
%choiceff(data=final, bestout=sasuser.waterdes, model=class(provider measure payment price quality / sta) / cprefix=0 lprefix=0, nsets=32, seed=145, flags=f1-f2, restrictions=res, resvars=price quality, options=relative, beta=zero) proc print data=sasuser.waterdes; var provider -- quality; id set; by set; run; proc datasets lib=work kill nolist memtype=data; quit;

I need to implement restrictions on the choice sets, namely that the price does not equal 500 when the quality is safe.  How can I implement this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

When your restrictions are more complicated, you might want to write them in terms of the actual levels.  Here is an example of how you could do that.

%macro res;
price   = {500 1500 2500 3500};
quality = {'raw' 'safe'};
bad = (quality[x[1,2]] = 'safe' & price[x[1,1]] = 500) + 
      (quality[x[2,2]] = 'safe' & price[x[2,1]] = 500);
%mend;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I've never used these macros, but I asked a colleague who has experience with them.  He suggestst that you look in the doc for the examples that define "macro res;"  (Open the PDF, then search for that string without the quotes.)  

My friend said "Restrictions must be posed in terms of the raw values stored in a matrix x with one row per alternative and one column for each of the resvars variables."

Based on that statement, I am going to guess that you should try the following:

%macro res;

bad=(x[1,2] = 2 & x[1,1] = 1) + (x[2,2] = 2 & x[2,1] = 1);

%mend;​

mdk31
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

That code didn't work for me, but digging deeper in the book, it seems that this has solved the problem:

%macro res;
if x[1,1] = 1 & x[1,2] = 2 then bad = 1;
if x[2,1] = 1 & x[2,2] = 2 then bad = bad + 1;
%mend;

This means that safe never shows up with 500.  

WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Actually, the code that you provided for the restrictions macro generates precisely the same values of bad as the code that I provided Rick.  Why did it not work for you?

WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

When your restrictions are more complicated, you might want to write them in terms of the actual levels.  Here is an example of how you could do that.

%macro res;
price   = {500 1500 2500 3500};
quality = {'raw' 'safe'};
bad = (quality[x[1,2]] = 'safe' & price[x[1,1]] = 500) + 
      (quality[x[2,2]] = 'safe' & price[x[2,1]] = 500);
%mend;

mdk31
Calcite | Level 5

I have no idea what I was putting in the first time, but this time, when I copied and pasted Rick's code, it worked.  Not sure what happened the first time.  Thanks to both for your responses!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation