Censored normal regression to adjust for hypertension treatment effect

Occasional Contributor

Censored normal regression to adjust for hypertension treatment effect

I am trying to figure out how to run a censored normal regression in SAS. I have cross-sectional data that I am analyzing to examine the association of an independent variable with systolic blood pressure (SBP). The observed SBP in treated individuals (HTNMed=1) is right censored, therefore I have been told to use censored normal regression. I have found how to do this in STATA (cnreg), but I can't seem to figure it out in SAS. 

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thank you!

Amanda

Respected Advisor

Re: Censored normal regression to adjust for hypertension treatment effect

Do you have SAS/ETS licensed?  If so, take a look at PROC QLIM.or PROC HPQLIM.  I don't think there is a good way to approach this with SAS/STAT, but you might consider PROC LIFEREG for tobit regression--check Example 51.2 Computing Predicted Values for a Tobit Model, and see if you can substitute your values into the example there.

Steve Denham

Occasional Contributor

Thank you! It looks like PROC LIFEREG will do the trick.

Occasional Contributor

Hi again,

I have been successful in using Proc Lifereg to run censored normal regression for my analysis (thank you!). Now I am trying to predict mean outcome values (blood pressure) for 4 different models starting with a minimally adjusted model to one adjusting for all covariates, and am having trouble figuring out how to do this.

I tried to follow this example: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63033/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_lifereg_sect..., but I'm starting to think that this is not the answer to my problem because my mean blood pressure is not changing more than a few tenths when I move from model 1 to model 4. I know this cannot be the case based on the results of the Proc Lifereg.

Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong or how to calculate mean outcome values for tobit models with right censoring?

Thank you in advance for any advice you have.

Amanda

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation