BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SaraBay
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I'm using SAS University Edition with Oracle VirtualBox. Also, I'm using a Mac computer and chrome browser.

Although I defined my SAS folder in VirtualBox as instructed (picture attached), I get the following message when I try to read a file into SAS:

"The path ... is invalid because it is not in the list of accessible paths when SAS is in the lockdown state."

This is my code:

data my_file;

set "/users/sarabeiggi/sas/myfolders/my_file.sas7bdat";

run;

I also tried the following paths just in case I'm missing something:

set "/sarabeiggi/sas/myfolders/my_file.sas7bdat";

set "/sas/myfolders/my_file.sas7bdat";

set "/myfolders/my_file.sas7bdat";

set "/my_file.sas7bdat";

set "/folders/myfolders/my_file.sas7bdat";

I found a few threads discussing this issue but they all concluded that the shared folder was not defined properly. Based on the picture attached, I don't think that's my issue, but I may be wrong.

Any Suggestions? Thanks!

Sara

Untitled.jpg

Additional information:

When I tried to define a shortcut I also received this message:

Untitled2.png

9 REPLIES 9
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

you have been caught by the confusion a MAC is using similar naming  as the Linux VM. You must use the names as Linux knows not the ones of MAC.

Review the properties in the running SAS session on a file folder on that side. It looks like:

myfolders.jpg

I do not see /folders/myfolders in your attemtps

---->-- ja karman --<-----
SaraBay
Fluorite | Level 6

I also tried /folders/myfolders but forgot to mention it. It didn't work.

Is there anything else you think I should try? Thank you!

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

You are sure the file "my_file.sas7bdat" is in that location (check it in the files/libraries pane left side)
When it is not here you will get not the message it cannot find the file.

It will try something in current directory. The current directory is not your home directory (somebody gone mad at SAS).  That one that is current is locked down and expect a message of that kind.. 

SaraBay
Fluorite | Level 6

The file is definitely there - in the folder called myfolder (on my laptop). In SAS, when I look at Folders -> My Folders I can only see "sasuser.v94".

Where is my current directory then? I just installed SAS and this is the first file I'm trying to read. So everything should be still set as default.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

The error message of SAS is explained, the file is not there as far as SAS sees.

you did look at the MAC in /Users/SaraBeiggi/SAS/MyFolders/" ?  The name as the VM window tells it has made the connection. 

and there is a folder sasuser.v94 visible in that one? If not your MAC and VM are not in accordance of the joined location. you

If your intention was only to create a dataset ... 

data my_file;

set sashelp.class ;

run;

sara... SURFsara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Put in myfolders?

libname mysara "/folders/myfolders";   /* defines the location as library */

data mysara.my_file;

set sashelp.class ;

run;

proceed with your sas exploration....

SaraBay
Fluorite | Level 6

If I'm understanding correctly you are saying that VM is properly communicating with my Mac because it shows sasuser.v94 but it doesn't see my_file.sas7bdat.

If that's the case, what is the problem? The file is under MyFolders in my Finder.

And thanks for the tips on sashelp databases, but I need to import sas and excel files into SAS for analysis.

I really appreciate your help.

Sara

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

I gave the sashelp databases a reference as they are known to SAS. Just for checking SAS running correctly.

I understand you want to import data in the MAC last screen we should see the sasuser.v94 in the sas environment we should my_file.sas7bdat.
This not the case conclusion: The expected connection /Users/SaraBeiggi/SAS/MyFolders/ MyFolders (Virtual Box) is not working or not as your last screen you are looking in.

You could try to find sasuser.v94 on the MAC

SaraBay
Fluorite | Level 6

I searched but couldn't find sasuser.v94 anywhere on my Mac.

As you can see on the screenshot, I uploaded before, it is not seen on any of SAS subfolders on Finder window either.

How can I make the virtual box see my SAS folder? I thought since I shared it under settings -> shared folder of the virtual box it should be seen by the virtual box.

Sara

SaraBay
Fluorite | Level 6

I finally called SAS support and they solved the issue. I had to change the name of my folder from SAS to SASUniversityEdition and use path /folders/myfolders and that solved the problem.

Thank you very much Jaap for all your time and your help.

Sara

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation