BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I'm trying to open an existing SAS dataset that is saved on my computer.

The code I'm using to try an open the dataset is the following:

%let fpath = xxxx;

libname effct "&fpath";

data efficiency;
set effct.omrdataset;
run;

but when I try to run this I get the following error:

ERROR: The format SITEF was not found or could not be loaded.

What am I doing wrong? I'm pretty sure I've opened SAS datasets this way before

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Your colleague created a format to display a variable a certain way, ie they recoded age into groups and applied a format rather than create a new variable. However, formats aren't stored within a dataset so they need to give you the format code as well.

WIll it cause issues, yes, you'll see the variables differently. For example, if it was age, you would see the individual ages but they would see the age categories. 

I would ask your colleague for the SAS format code. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

The dataset has a custom format applied to it that you don't have in your system. 

Do you have any code to go along with the data?

Otherwise, you can tell SAS to ignore this error using the option below.

option nofmterr;
christinagting0
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Reeza,

Can you explain more by what you mean? What do you mean it has a format that I don't have on my computer?

The sas dataset is one that my colleague created and I'm trying to work off their dataset?

Will using the statement to ignore the format cause any problems?

Reeza
Super User

Your colleague created a format to display a variable a certain way, ie they recoded age into groups and applied a format rather than create a new variable. However, formats aren't stored within a dataset so they need to give you the format code as well.

WIll it cause issues, yes, you'll see the variables differently. For example, if it was age, you would see the individual ages but they would see the age categories. 

I would ask your colleague for the SAS format code. 

christinagting0
Quartz | Level 8

sweet. thanks for that awesome and clear explanation! 

I will ask them:)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation