BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sahutj
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am running SAS version 9.4 for Windows.  I frequently have to import and manipulate giant (~13 GB) files from the state, and each proc can takes hours to run.  And the data sets just keep getting bigger!

My work has offered to purchase a more appropriate laptop for me, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has found a laptop that they would recommend for my situation.

11 REPLIES 11
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Laptop? Maybe a desktop would be better

But you want as much memory and as fast of a CPU as you can buy.

--
Paige Miller
sahutj
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry - should have been more specific.

1. I'm mobile so a desktop worn't work, unfortunately.

2. I'll definitely try to get the most RAM and a fast CPU.  But is there a specific CPU (for instance) that is a must have?

3. I'm also wondering if there's a specific brand/model that people like (EX: Dell Inspiron, Lenovo thinkpad, etc). 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

To me, the brand is irrelevant. To me, the proper hardware is what you want to look for. Also, in my experience, you may want to purchase a custom configured computer instead of one of the standard models that manufacturers offer.

Get the fastest CPU that your company will purchase for you. There are many internet websites that compare the relative speed of different CPUs according to various criteria.

Get 32MB of memory (or more if the computer motherboard will support it). And it is mandatory that you get a 64 bit operating system.

--
Paige Miller
tlk
Quartz | Level 8 tlk
Quartz | Level 8

I would recommend SSD disk too since SAS is I/O bound.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

tlk wrote:

I would recommend SSD disk too since SAS is I/O bound.

Excellent point!

--
Paige Miller
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Just to add, multi-core processor would help, and Solid State Hard Drive.  Onboard graphics is probably a good idea too, whilst proper graphics card is nice, they are power hungry and you don't want to be charging every hour or so.

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Can't we use SAS 9.4 in 32 bit OS?

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

The first release of 9.4 had support for 32bit.  However that's not really the point.  For any system with more than 4gb of ram, you need to have a 64bit system to take advantage of that memory.  So if your running 32bit, 4gb and 32gb memory will run the same speed as on the first 4gb is used.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

13 GB doesn't sound giant to me.

If your PROCs takes hours:

• Optimize your code
  • Use a server instead, which you can control via Enterprise Guide or SAS Studio
Data never sleeps
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

-64 bit, no question at all. 32 bit is stone age right now, because the CPU can't address enough RAM to cache big datasets.

-speed is not such a big thing, my venerable p520 runs with two 1.6 GHz cores and will probably run circles around your new laptop anyway, because of the SAN infrastructure (twin PCIe buses, twin 4Gbit FC, HDS storage)

-SSD, SSD, SSD. Eliminates 90% of I/O problems, because it does away with the latencies common on mechanical drives.

And evaluate your import process on all stages with the proper tools. The best Notebook/PC won't help you if you sit behind a slow firewall or are connected to a 100 Mbit switch or 56 Mbit WLAN.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Typical, you wait ages for one and two turn up:

"twin PCIe buses"

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 7 in conversation