Can SAS Indexes be created on a different libname than where the dataset is stored?

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can SAS Indexes be created on a different libname than where the dataset is stored?

Hi,

I wanted to check if it is possible to create a SAS index for a dataset in a library different than the library my dataset is stored in. When an index is stored in the same library, it resides on the same file system as the Dataset. And I've seen that in Oracle and other RDBMS, the indexes are stored in a different filesystem from the data so that true parallelism can be achieved by reading the index and data at the same time and avoiding I/O bottlenecks. Does SAS have an option to achieve this?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎01-17-2014 08:58 AM
Super User

Re: Can SAS Indexes be created on a different libname than where the dataset is stored?

Just to clarify, in SPDE (and of course in SPD Server) you can define a separate location for your metadata and indexes, i.e. in different file systems.

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

All Replies
Regular Contributor

Re: Can SAS Indexes be created on a different libname than where the dataset is stored?

Posted in reply to VarunIyer

No, you can't create an index for a SAS Table in a different Libname. However if you use the SPD Engine, you can get true parallelism in the same library, reading index and data at the same time. 

See: SAS(R) 9.3 Scalable Performance Data Engine: Reference

Regards

Solution
‎01-17-2014 08:58 AM
Super User

Just to clarify, in SPDE (and of course in SPD Server) you can define a separate location for your metadata and indexes, i.e. in different file systems.

Data never sleeps
New Contributor

Thanks guys! I was wondering if this can be done manually on my unix file system (Create a new link and move it to a different file system, then create a soft link to the catalog) or do we have to compulsarily use the SPDE engines. Then on further investigation, I got to know that we cannot create a soft link for datasets with Indexes so that option is ruled out.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation