Can I open another SAS session from current session?

N/A

Can I open another SAS session from current session?

I want to open SAS unicode from ongoing regular SAS session...execute some program on Unicode and then return back regular session...is it possible?

Super User

Re: Can I open another SAS session from current session?

Interactive or batch?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Valued Guide

Re: Can I open another SAS session from current session?

It is possible and it not possible.

In a windows environment and in  a server environment you can install en/latin-1 and u8 (Unicode) loadables side by side (except z/Os mainframe).

For windows it will be starting a DMS session for the one or the other possible running both at the same time.

For a Unix environment running a BI/DI server you can define multiple WS servers (appserver) having the different encodings.

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/AddingAdditionalSASWorkspaceServerstoSupportMultipleEncoding...

From Eguide you can use in a project both sessions at the same time.

With SAS/connect you can start multiple sessions.  Would be normal to expect a latin-1 / Unicode connection being possible.

Alarm: this is not possible with versions up to 9.3.  With 9.4 it is added as new functionality.

SAS/CONNECT(R) 9.4 User's Guide, Second Edition  (what is new)

SAS/CONNECT(R) 9.4 User's Guide, Second Edition (Encoding Compatibility between SAS/CONNECT Client and Server Sessions)

You could also use SAS/connect for this on a desktop when you have licensed that.

There are more issue-s on this topic. Is they are very detailed an technical.

To be posted when needed.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation