BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
pakalu_papito
Calcite | Level 5

I have a data set which looks like this.

1.PNG

I want to calculate for every row, starting from row number three a moving average with window 5. For every row i, the window will have rows i-2, i-1, i, i+1, i+2. The desired output is like this.

2.PNG

So for week 3, The smoothed_average is a mean of the highlighted cells.

4 REPLIES 4
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Use the CONVERT statement and the transformout=(cmovave 5) option in PROC EXPAND and do something like this

proc expand data=YourData;
	id Week;
	convert value=smoothed_average / transformout=(cmovave 5);
run;

This creates a Centered Moving Average of five observations (The two preceding, the present and the two next observations)

Ksharp
Super User

Next time write some code to make it as a table ,not picture. No one would like to type it for you ,if you want someone answer your question.

data have;
input week sales promo;
cards;
1 792 0
2 271 0
3 490 0
4 1095 0
5 1439 0
6 597 0
7 588 0
8 7078 0
;
run;
proc sql;
select * ,(select avg(sales) from have where week between a.week-2 and a.week+2) as avg
 from have as a;
quit;
mpordon
Fluorite | Level 6

If u don't have SAS/ETS you won't be able to use proc expand. Here is a data step approach that should work.

data want;
	set have nobs=nobs;
	if _N_ > 2 and _N_ <= nobs-2 then do; *Logic to only calculate a smoothed average when there are two prior rows as well as two following rows;
		smoothed_average = Sales;
		*Grab the preceding 2 and following 2 rows;
		do i = -2, -1, 1, 2; 
			GetPoint = _N_ + i;
			set have(keep=Sales Rename=(Sales=PriorSales)) point=GetPoint;
			smoothed_average + PriorSales;
		end;
		smoothed_average = smoothed_average / 5;
	end; else
		smoothed_average = .;
	drop i PriorSales;
run;

The third line may need to change depending on your actual data to start and stop calculating properly.

mkeintz
PROC Star

You want a size 5 window centered on the current observation.

PROC EXPAND is the way to go, assuming you have the sas/ets product. But if you don't, then this program will do:

data have;
input week sales promo;
cards;
1 792 0
2 271 0
3 490 0
4 1095 0
5 1439 0
6 597 0
7 588 0
8 7078 0
9 612 0
10 555 0
run;
data want (drop=leading_value);
  merge have  
        have (firstobs=3 keep=sales rename=(sales=leading_value));
  smoothed_average=ifn(_n_>=3,mean(lag2(sales),lag(sales),sales,lag(leading_value),leading_value),.);
  if leading_value=. then smoothed_average=.;
run;

This program assumes there are no missing values for sales, which  means "if leading_value=. then smoothed_average=.;" statement will prevent unwanted averages at the end of the data set.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation