BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sasquatch
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, I am trying to create a boxplot image with several variables side-by-side. These are not categories of the same variable but, rather, separate continuous variables in which I would like a side-by-side comparison of the boxplots. These variables all share the same range (% out of 100) and I wish to use a single boxplot image to display several boxplots side-by-side.

So far,  I have generated separate boxplot images using the vbox statement in the sgplot procedure to make individual boxplot images, but I havn't found anything to combine them into a single image.

Let me know if my description is not clear Smiley Happy

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

See the article Order variables by values of a statistic - The DO Loop, which also sorts the variables according to some statistic.

If you don't care about sorting the box plots, you can skip the first few steps. Just add an ID variable, call PROC TRANSPOSE, , call PROC SGPLOT and use the VBOX statement with the CATEGORY= option.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
stat_sas
Ammonite | Level 13

Combine all the continuous variables in one variable and flag them. Then use flag as a categorical variable on x-axis to display boxplots of continuous variables side-by-side.

sasquatch
Calcite | Level 5

Could you please provide an example?

How would you combine several categorical variables into one?

Example.

X1     X2     X3

obs1    1        5       3

obs2    2        4        5

combine

Y1

obs1  1, 5, 3

obs2   2, 4, 5

please provide example of how to flag as well. Thanks!

stat_sas
Ammonite | Level 13

Please see an example below.

data class(keep=all_vars flag);

set sashelp.class;

array v{*} _numeric_;

do i=1 to dim(v);

all_vars=v{i};

flag=vname(v{i});

output;

end;

run;

proc sort data=class;

by flag;

run;

proc boxplot data = class;

plot all_vars * flag;

quit;

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The blog post does contain an example.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

See the article Order variables by values of a statistic - The DO Loop, which also sorts the variables according to some statistic.

If you don't care about sorting the box plots, you can skip the first few steps. Just add an ID variable, call PROC TRANSPOSE, , call PROC SGPLOT and use the VBOX statement with the CATEGORY= option.

sasquatch
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Rick! I am still getting accustomed to the SAS language so it took me a while to figure out the code. The graph looks great!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation