BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jbd13
Calcite | Level 5

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to create a box plot that has both outliers and variable width of box depending on group size. On my attempts I have lost the variable width when i start using summary data rather than raw data to input the outliers. Is there a way round this?

Many thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

You don't mention how you are creating the boxplots.  If you use GTL BOXPLOTPARM you can include a STAT=BOXWIDTH in the PARM data as a function of N.

BOXWIDTH

specifies the width of the boxes as a ratio of the maximum possible width. The range of values is 0 (narrowest) to 1 (widest). The default is 0.4. If the Y value corresponding to BOXWIDTH is in range, then it overrides the setting that is specified in the BOXWIDTH= option.

jbd13
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, thank you for your reply and sorry for not specifying method. Am new to box plots and quite new to sas so hope this is appropriate info.. I was using proc boxplot with boxstyle = schematic and boxwidthscale = 1 and was using summary data.

I did try and implement the boxplotparm method just following the example code in the sas documentation but had an error stating "unable to load java virtual machine" so guessing this functionality is not available in the version of sas (9.2) I have?

Thanks again for your help.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation