Blanks in file

Accepted Solution Solved
Super User
Super User
Accepted Solution

Blanks in file

Hi,

Probably something simple, but have tried the options and can't seem to get it working.  In a text file (RTF) I have some data fields with spaces in (asis=on from a proc report), looks like:

\pard\plain\intbl\sb0\sa0\ql\f1\fs18\cf1{Sometext {\line}

More Text {\line}

Even More Text\cell}

On an infile statement:

length buffer $2000.;

infile "S:\Temp\Rob\RTF\Current\FLT2504_DOSEA_L-0301-mh-rand.rtf" dsd missover lrecl=32767;

input buffer $;

These blanks are removed.  Any thoughts on getting them to read in correctly?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎09-24-2014 08:02 AM
Respected Advisor

Re: Blanks in file

You need to use an INFORMAT that does not trim leading blanks.  Your INPUT BUFFER $; statement is using LIST input which you don't want. Looks like you want to read the whole line as a string.  I use $VARYING informat with the LENGTH= option for the length variable.  This is fine as long as LRECL is LE 32767 which I expect it will be for RTF.  I have not seen RTF with LRECL anywhere near that.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

I have no isdea about the problem, attaching the rtf could help us test.

But why do you want to read an rtf created by SAS? Is this a rescue operation and the original data is not available?

Data never sleeps
Solution
‎09-24-2014 08:02 AM
Respected Advisor

You need to use an INFORMAT that does not trim leading blanks.  Your INPUT BUFFER $; statement is using LIST input which you don't want. Looks like you want to read the whole line as a string.  I use $VARYING informat with the LENGTH= option for the length variable.  This is fine as long as LRECL is LE 32767 which I expect it will be for RTF.  I have not seen RTF with LRECL anywhere near that.

Super User
Super User

Thanks, knew its was something simple like that.  Informat=$varying200. works fine.

In response to LinusH, thanks for your response, actually its an RTF parser, mainly for validation, but possibly for other things as well.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation