BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
TimCampbell
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Everyone,

We have a fairly new SAS installation at our site and the Setinit for is about to expire for the first time. We have the new license files ready to put on the server however since it is christmas our IT department do not really want to make any changes to production systems while the support over christmas is low.

We are currently in the 30 days grace period but will soon move into the Warning period.

Can anyone tell me exactly what happens in the warning period?

I can guess that I will see warnings in the log when I run programs but

does this show up as a real warning in EG?

is SYSCC affected?

will scheduled processes still run?

Thanks in advance.

Tim.

4 REPLIES 4
agatenby
Calcite | Level 5

I just renewed our mainframe license at our site as it is pretty low risk and I have never had a problem renewing it.  It has been a long time since we let ours go into the Warning Period, but I can say that everything works.  We received warning messages in the job's sysout which paniked some of the users, but that was the extent of it.   

JoeF
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Other than clogging up the log files the warnings will have no direct effect. They are just an incentive to get you to renew.

Renewal is a simple enough process and it can be done at pretty much any time.

I'd be inclined to dive in and get it done.

Cheers

Joe

GlenA_
Calcite | Level 5

In our SAS/Windows environment using EG, warning messages appear in the log.  In our SAS/zOS environment, batch messages also appear in the log, but interactive messages appear throughout the application as certain functions are executed in those interactive sessions.  I agree with the earlier posts, the application of the license files is a low risk change.

TimCampbell
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for the replies,

Given that the responses suggested we shouldn't have any problems running into the warning period, we decided not to upset our IT guys over christmas, let the licence go into the warning period and do the update post new year.

Everything carried on running as we would have expected but for future reference this is what we saw...

Pop-up warning when running first code in an Enterprise guide session.

EG_Popup.JPG

Log file warnings similar to the following (first run in the session only).

WARNING: The SAS/GRAPH product with which GSLIDE (2) is associated will be expiring soon, and is currently in warning mode to

indicate this upcoming expiration. Please run PROC SETINIT to obtain more information on your warning period.

&SYSCC is left equal to 0 even if warning shows (rather than being set to 4 for normal warnings).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation