Batch job in SAS EG 5.1

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Batch job in SAS EG 5.1

Hi All,

My working place uses SAS EG 5.1 64 bits and is installed as remote server from my work station.

I can upload and download files (excel, csv etc..) from SAS server to my local or public shared drive

or vice versa.

Can I do it directly from my sas code ? That means, after I run the code (of course, no errors), the file is ready in my destination drive.

What products, drivers and coding that i need to install to fulfill this task ?

Thanks in advance.

William

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎01-19-2015 08:45 AM
Esteemed Advisor

Re: Batch job in SAS EG 5.1

Your system administrator for the SAS server needs to configure the network mount and tell you the path to it. Then you can simply let SAS write the PC files there.

Without a network mount, you will have to do the data transfer with FTP/SFTP tools, which mostly depend on the platform of the SAS server (UNIX, Windows, z/OS).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers

View solution in original post

All Replies
Esteemed Advisor

You need to have xcmd enabled in your SAS Workspace Server. You do this in the advanced options of the Workspace Server configuration in SAS Management Console.

Unless your shared drive is mounted as a network resource on the server where SAS is installed, you may need to use SFTP/SFTP or some scripting via ssh to transfer the files.

How do you transfer your files at the moment?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Valued Guide

I cannot get clear where the SAS EG 5.1 (64-bit?) is installed. It can be on

a/ you desktop/work station

b/ by a RAT on some Windows Server ( Remote Access Tool - Remote Desktop Program) .

a/ On your Desktop

When SAS EG is 64-bit and you want to access Office files you are needing a 64-bit office.

You can make the upload part of project-flow. There will be some some hard physical directory names getting in your flow.

This will made handover of projects may be difficult.

b/ With the Rat

You Eguide is not running on your desktop it your Rat-tool that transfers the file between the SAS server and your Desktop.

The SAS server is normally isolated to that server. (local system processes) only when this is configured to be part of the AD-domain with support of the AD supplier is it possible to access urls outside directly.

When there is some Server running a SAS/connect service or a SFTP service that is available for you, you can access that in that way. 

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. Currently I download files (usually excel, access, csv) from SAS EG menu download.

Based on your information, correct me if I'm wrong, if my remote SAS server "knows" a shared drive (for example drive S), then I can code my

SAS program to output those files to S:\<output-path>.

What specific action do I need to take to make it works.

Thanks

William

Solution
‎01-19-2015 08:45 AM
Esteemed Advisor

Your system administrator for the SAS server needs to configure the network mount and tell you the path to it. Then you can simply let SAS write the PC files there.

Without a network mount, you will have to do the data transfer with FTP/SFTP tools, which mostly depend on the platform of the SAS server (UNIX, Windows, z/OS).

Esteemed Advisor

There are means in EG to both import and export data.

If you have access from EG to your local drives/file share, this can (partly?) be done.

In EG, import your "local" file to a SAS data set on the server - no problem.

In EG, export SAS data sets on the server to "local" Excel, csv-files - no problem.

Not clear if you had any other requirements?

Data never sleeps
Valued Guide

As of Eguide 5.1 I assume SAS 9.3.

When you server is Windows than look at: SAS(R) 9.3 Intelligence Platform: Security Administration Guide ( Windows Privileges - Trusted for delegation)

The configuration should have included IWA and when using the Access/PCfiles license one the ACE (jet-mdac) drivers for that bitness SAS (64 bit I assume). 

When your server is Unix the IWS cannot be there or is not compliant with strict security guidelines.

That can be bypassed when having either a Windows SAS server with SAS/connect available or using the PC-files server service on a Windows server (needing ACE /jet-mdac).

The PCfiles server service is coming with the ACCESS/PCfiles license on Unix. SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.3 Interface to PC Files: Reference (LIBNAME Statement for PCFILES Engine on Linux, UNIX, and Microsoft Windows)      

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Contributor

Thanks for all contributors.

I think I have enough information to REQUEST my SAS administrator to set up the mount point and required software to do this task.

Thanks again for sharing knowledge.

Regards,

William

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation