Base programmer question

New Contributor

Base programmer question

Hi. I just bought the training package and exam voucher for Base and was curious what everyday life is like employed as a SAS Base programmer..I am hoping to transition from a long career in Telcom Engineering into this field. Is it possible once I get the cert that I can get part time work (such as contract work)so that i can get my 'feet wet' so to speak before jumping ship from my other job? I want to make sure this is the right move. I am determined to move on from my current employment, but need to manage the risk as much as possible..thanks for any input anyone can share!

Todd B

Grand Advisor

Re: Base programmer question

It depends and can vary from company to company very widely. 

At a large company you may end up coding entirely from specs as a contract programmer, whereas at a small or medium sized company you may end up working the gamut, working with business to define questions, obtaining data requirements, fulfilling said data requirements and either scheduling or running manually on a regular basis.

The area of work also varies significantly, healthcare is a big SAS user, but retail, banking, and telecom are also big SAS users. 

Since you're in telecom you'll probably bring some experience from there and should leverage it. 

Finding contract work - possible, but not easy, sometimes you spend as much time finding contracts as doing work. 

That being said, certification, answering questions on this forum, presenting papers at your local SAS user group are great ways to increase your SAS knowledge. You can also implement SAS solutions on certain problems, such as working with a Data for Good initiative in your area or Kaggle contests to build your expertise and experience.  Open Data is also a great way to get into data analysis, with a lot of interest by data journalists who are looking for numbers to back up issues of the day.

At any rate, welcome to SAS and good luck!

New Contributor

Reeza,

Thank you for your time and input! I will check into a local user group while I prepare for the exam also!

Grand Advisor

Also you should consider that many jobs involving SAS will not say "programmer" and sometimes may not even mention SAS at all. With a significant background in any field I would suggest looking for Analytics related to that field. The second job I had with SAS was listed as "data compilation" and since then my jobs have been as Analysts of one flavor or another.

New Contributor

Thank you! I appreciate your input as well..
tb

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation