Automating TYPE WINDOW entry prompt - user and password

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Automating TYPE WINDOW entry prompt - user and password

Hi Everyone,

First time posting. Here is my issue: I created a scheduled task for a batch file that executes a pcsas script which remotes to our unix server. The scheduler, batch file and script are all working correctly. The problem is that when PCSAS makes the call to remote in to the server a TYPE WINDOW pops up requesting username and subsequently a pop up for password. In the past my SAS 9.1 version pointed to the tcpunix.txt file and within it I hard coded my username and password to bypass prompts. That was on an XP platform. No problem getting in automatically without user interaction.

We now have moved on to Windows 7 platform and my company upgraded my PCSAS to 9.3 since 9.1 does not work with windows 7. I am now pointed to a tcpunix.src file which looks exactly like the txt version. I assumed it was just a matter of hardcoding my credentials in it as well but it appears that I need to enter my log in info regardless of whether or not I hardcoded them in the tcpunix.src file.

This is a problem because I am trying to automate the whole process. Is there a way to address this issue and have either the scheduler, bat file, sas script or other source automatically enter the info for you? I would like for the scheduled task to run before I get into work and the data is ready by the time I come in. That can't happen if someone has to physically be at the computer every time when the job kicks off. Any help on this matter is appreciated.

NOTE: As mentioned hardcoding my credentials in this part of the tcpunix.src file below does not prevent the pop up windows when doing a remote sign on, Just an fyi in case that is a suggested solution.

input 'Userid?';

type myuserid LF;

waitfor 'Password', 30 seconds : nolog;

input nodisplay 'Password?';

type mypassword LF;

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-21-2015 11:08 AM
New Contributor

Re: Automating TYPE WINDOW entry prompt - user and password

Hello again,

The problem has been solved. I compared my tcpunix.scr file with that of someone in my IT department and I did find a small difference in his file versus mine. His file has the input statements commented out while mine didn't. I went ahead and commented the two lines out that referred to input statements and hardcoded my userid and password in the respective lines of code and it worked. I didn't get any pop up windows requesting my credentials when I kicked of the scheduled task manually. Remember to enclose your userid and password in single quotes when hardcoding them in your tcpunix.scr file. I didn't mention that in my original post/example assuming it was common knowledge.

so the code looked like this after corrections. I updated example to show myuserid and mypassword values are enclosed in single quotes:

/* input 'Userid?'; */

type 'myuserid' LF;

/*  input nodisplay 'Password?'; */

type 'mypassword' LF;

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎04-21-2015 11:08 AM
New Contributor

Re: Automating TYPE WINDOW entry prompt - user and password

Hello again,

The problem has been solved. I compared my tcpunix.scr file with that of someone in my IT department and I did find a small difference in his file versus mine. His file has the input statements commented out while mine didn't. I went ahead and commented the two lines out that referred to input statements and hardcoded my userid and password in the respective lines of code and it worked. I didn't get any pop up windows requesting my credentials when I kicked of the scheduled task manually. Remember to enclose your userid and password in single quotes when hardcoding them in your tcpunix.scr file. I didn't mention that in my original post/example assuming it was common knowledge.

so the code looked like this after corrections. I updated example to show myuserid and mypassword values are enclosed in single quotes:

/* input 'Userid?'; */

type 'myuserid' LF;

/*  input nodisplay 'Password?'; */

type 'mypassword' LF;

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation