BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JasonNC
Quartz | Level 8

Hi ,

Currently I am retrieving values from a database using macro variable as i have to do look up for the account values .i am doing below approach as it makes processing faster.

PROC SQL NOPRINT;
Select Account_Num into :Accnt Separated by ','
from Anlsys;
quit;

proc sql noprint;
connect to odbc(dsn=mart);
create table Lookup as
select * from connection to odbc(select a.Account_Number,c.Score 
from mart.dbo.accounts a left join mart.dbo.ACCOUNT_FACTS b
on ( a.actkey = b.actkey)
left join mart.dbo.Score_yr c
on(b.FKey =c.FKey)
where a.Account_Number IN (&Accnt)
);
disconnect from odbc;
quit;

I don't have any checks on macro variable length.I am exposing to risk of exceeding macro variable length but i know the accounts list might not be that much but still little concern

Is there any other better approach to retrieve efficiently instead of pulling the whole table into sas

2 REPLIES 2
ArtC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
The macro variable will hold 64K characters, so depending on the length of your account number (+1 for the comma) you can get a good approximation of how many will fit.

if you can push the WORK.ANLSYS up to the data base you can add it to your join to do the elimination.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

As far as I know you've got basically two options if you want to influence how and where heterogenous joins are executed.

1. You load your smaller table into the DB with the larger table. You can use a temporary table for this

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acreldb/69580/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n0irpkyp22l7vzn1i...

2. You pack the key values of the smaller tables into a where clause for a SQL sent to the DB with the larger table. That's what you're currently doing.

In a company I've worked many years ago we've actually implemented a "sqlpump" macro which did exactly what you're doing now: Pack the keys into a macro variable and then send the SQL to the DB for execution; and we've implemented in a way that this executed in multiple iterations when there were too many key values and then appended the result back in SAS.

BTW: I believe some DBMS have a restriction of 32KB for SQL's so you want to limit your macro variable to something a bit lower than 32KB per call.

I believe that there is now a SAS dataset option DBMASTER which triggers SAS/Access to generate such code when using implicit SQL.

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acreldb/69580/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n0jg0sozl17mjyn1w...

When using implicit SQL (so not pass-through) then also use the following options: 

options sastrace=',,,d' sastraceloc=saslog nostsuffix;

This will show you in the log what SQL the SAS/Access engine actually sends to the database for execution.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation