Any limit on number of characters in user id for an external account

Occasional Contributor

Any limit on number of characters in user id for an external account

Hello SAS Administrators -

I would like to know if there is any limit on number of character in user id when setting up an external account. Please see image below.

SAS User.jpg

Respected Advisor

Re: Any limit on number of characters in user id for an external account

Posted in reply to pmaturi83

Well, first I  guessed the maximum possible limit of this userid length would be the same as the limit of a SAS Character variable length, which is 32k, as this piece of information is stored in metadata repository as SAS table variable. However, a quick trial reveals in Management Console 9.3 M2, it would only take 128 chars. I would assume that could be the limit, but SAS technical support have the final say.

Haikuo

Trusted Advisor

Re: Any limit on number of characters in user id for an external account

Posted in reply to pmaturi83

You should expect the external account limit being defined in the external system as most limited. It is often still limited to 8 chars (no, not kidding).

As they are also supposed to be type-able they are almost having easy recognizable conventions. Users accounts may be easy & recognizable, passwords not.  

As the password field is more interesting, that gets even being cached and stored without really being traceable.

Even though many systems (linux/unix based) only are keeping the first 8 chars of passwords and not taking notice of the longer oners, it is so 1960's

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation