An update on communities spam and what we're doing about it

Community Manager

An update on communities spam and what we're doing about it

Hello SAS Community members,

Spam: what is it good for? Absolutely nothing, as far as we're concerned.  And yet, it continues -- the spammers are relentless.

Please know that we are working hard to curb the forum spam that affects this community, and to limit its impact on you, our members.  We have spam controls in place, but those are not airtight and spam can leak in.  We clean it up as fast as we can (usually within minutes or hours).

We understand that our spam controls can limit the features of our site.  For example, new users have their questions held in a moderation queue, and we often have to disable the ability to upload files/pictures.  This is frustrating for us, too.

The GOOD NEWS is that we are upgrading our community platform right now.  We are in the process of implementing our new system and we will unveil it very soon.  In traditional software-company protocol I won't announce the specific date yet, but I will say that we're counting down in terms of weeks (not months).  The new system offers many exciting capabilities, including top-notch spam controls that will make spam a non-issue for our members.  We're really looking forward to sharing it with you!

Many of you are diligent about marking spam messages as "Abuse".  When you take that action, it helps the entire community – it hides the spam messages from view and gives us a chance to delete them behind-the-scenes.  I want to share a special Thank You to these users who have marked thousands of spam messages in recent months:

Thank you for using SAS communities!

Your SAS Communities Team: , , , , and

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 1 in conversation