BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LB
Quartz | Level 8 LB
Quartz | Level 8

OK so I am fairly new to SAS EG-

SO my question is that I see what is 'My folder' on SAS EG- How can I save to that? 

I am looking to namely save passwords, etc etc so other users can't see them.

Thanks

Lawrence

3 REPLIES 3
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Lawrence, Eguide does not do any processing. The processing is done by  SAS process SAS/Base foundation.

When that is connected you have the "home" (Unix) or "My folder" location of that process.

Only when that is not a group-account shared environment you can responsible save sensitive data including user/passwords there.
There are a lot of options and all have advantages and disadvantages.

The pre-req will be that OS security controls are according you business requirements. As analytics is a difficult technical challenge for OS-IT guy-s this often is failing. As SAs institute is not very helpful until now to solve those kind of issues there are failures although not often admitted or being aware of.     

What is the level of security isolation analyses monitoring events you are needing?

Are your running at a desktop level or running server-based?

---->-- ja karman --<-----
LB
Quartz | Level 8 LB
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for chiming in Jaap.

I am running off a SAS server based in UNIX.

At the local level-all users have a personal drive that they can store whatever datasets, passwords, etc etc.

This makes it so that I can run a program for another user and there is a standard method so that the username/passwords can automatically be taken from that personal drive rather having to change them with let statements or prompts.

I am attempting to do the same on the UNIX server. I see the 'my folder' and I can tell that I am the  only one (and SA's)  with permissions to it-I just don't how to map to it.

Lawrence

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Open up the  servers-tab and you will see the servers that can be started. Opening up one of those will show you libraries/files.

The files should be set to your /home..../<userid> when running a personal user context at Unix.    These are the Unix folders (1).

When you can access Unix with Putty/SFTP the OS-controls are still leading, you are able to work at the same self-service attitude as with Windows.

That setting is done by the SAS paltform admin as part of the workspaceserver configuration.

Arghhh self-service....(IT service people) that is Microsoft approach not really IT. (I am joking, but it is often being the practice)

With Windows explore and some Eguide task you have the Windows folders (2) of your desktop or as file-shares on servers.

Then you have also SAS metadata-folders (3) That is what you are probably seeing as you are seduced by the folders tab.

With sas-metadata also users/passwords can be stored (login-dataset of sas metadatabase).

---->-- ja karman --<-----

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation