BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
art297
Opal | Level 21

Some SAS users have fantastic SAS skills, and can describe them quite articulately, but fail miserably in presenting to an audience.

If an author submits a paper, but doesn't want to present it, should it still have a chance to appear in the SGF Proceedings?

Respond at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dDZsbG9Val9QYVE2WVVkcUNKWWdvdFE6MQ

6 REPLIES 6
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I've voted YES.

Considering that SGF papers have a global audience and a major part of this audience won't be able to attend SGF in person: Well written papers with valuable content are much more important than "presented at SGF".

reneeharper
SAS Employee

I think this is a great discussion.  Here's an idea.   What do you think of this?

What if you write your 'paper' here or on sasCommunity.org?  That way, it will be associated with you, available in the site search engine, and available to Google. Oth users can comment, collaborate and share the content based on your settings on the article.

If you want to write an article as part of this community,

1. Select Create from the banner at the top (after you have logged in, of course).
  2. Then select Article.  You are presented with a list of places or groups where you can create your article.  You could create it in the community most related to the topic.  Or you could create it in your user space.
  3. Select Your article.
  4. Then write it, set collaboration options, save it and review it.
  5. Add tags to help others find the article more easily.
  6. Publish it.
art297
Opal | Level 21

Renee,  All good ideas and the more possibilities that are brought up, the more likely (I think) the chances we will be able to succeed in improving upon that which we do.

I'm trying to keep up with the various venues this discussion has expanded to, as it is not just going on here, but on SAS-L and LinkedIn.

Don Henderson raised an extremely valid point, namely that the proceedings would be the wrong place to publish papers like those which the poll was asking about.  Conversely, a refereed  journal similar to the one sponsored by PhUSE (i.e., Maney Publishing - Pharmaceutical Programming   ) might be what is needed.

However, your suggestion could definitely be part of a coordinated effort to address some of the other concerns, such as ideas for papers, an idea incubation center, collaborative feedback, topics we want to read more about, etc.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

The great thing about SGF papers is that they went through a quality control process. How would you implement such a thing here?

art297
Opal | Level 21

Patrick,

Yes, they went through a quality control process, but a process that could probably be improved.  Are the rated "best papers" really the ones we should be looking at first?  I obviously can't speak for everyone but, in my opionion, NO!

Do we need the same thing here?  If we don't like what someone has proposed, we criticize it!  The poster has total control over which responses get points.  Given my preference, that should be on at least two levels.  The first one is already there: did the OP think they received a satisfactory answer to their problem.

I, personally, would like to see the communities opinion as well.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Hi Art

Agree that "the power of the masses" might work in this forum here. So rating could be kind of a function of who wrote it (rating of person in this forum) and people pushing the "Like" button. That could work.

I see in LinkedIn forums quite a lot of "crap" - people starting their blogs and "advertising" for their sites where they give SAS tips which most of the time (with very few exceptions) are quite poor. Not really sure how to avoid this here. May be besides of having a "like" button a group of editors would still be necessary - but who will choose them?

Just some thoughts,

Patrick

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation