9.4 Proc transpose

Frequent Contributor

9.4 Proc transpose

Hello, I have a dataset which I want to restructure: Currently, it has multiple records per ID and I would like it to be one record per ID. Currently, the dataset variables are: ID C_Number C_FirstName CLastName C_DOB C_Gender C_Relationship C_RS C_LW Each ID has multiple records if it has multiple valid values for C_number. So, right now ID 1234 may have multiple records for when C_number equals 1, 2, 3, and 4. For each C_number, the information recorded for the variables (ie C_FirstName CLastName C_DOB C_Gender C_Relationship C_RS C_LW) is different. So, ID 1234 will have a set of data recorded for C_FirstName, C_LastName, C_DOB, C_Gender, C_Relationship, C_RS, and C_LW and then a set of data for those variables in another record for ID 1234 for C_number 2. I would like to structure the dataset so it - has one record for ID 1234 and - the variables are renamed such that each C_number for each ID has its own set of [C_FirstName, C_LastName, C_DOB, C_Gender, C_Relationship, C_RS, and C_LW] variables named appropriately for it. Should I clarify? Proc transpose is the way? Thank  you!!!

Super User

Re: 9.4 Proc transpose

Possibly, post sample data, input/what you have and output - what you're expecting as output.

Frequent Contributor

pic1.PNG

So the picture above shows shows the original dataset structure.

The picture below is the desired dataset structure.output.PNG

Frequent Contributor

This is the code I've written to do the proc transpose

code.PNG

Super User

An answer to your question:

SAS Learning Module: Reshaping data long to wide using the data step

And a suggestion:

Frequent Contributor

Thanks!  My first few messages have been short - I apologize!

Also, do you know how I can copy-paste my current code into the textboxes?  I'm never able to paste other text/my code directly into the box so I've ended up taking snapshots of these things and attaching them.

Thank you in advance!!

Super User

Dont use IE as your browser, or copy/paste to word then here.

Frequent Contributor

Ah, ok - thanks!

Super User

The simplest way is using proc means + idgroup if you didn't care about order of variables. otherwise I would use MERGE to transpose it .

data class;
 set sashelp.class;
run;
proc sort data=class;by sex;run;
proc sql;
 select max(n) into : max
  from (select count(*) as n from class group by sex);
quit;
proc summary data=class;
 by sex;
 output out=want idgroup(out[&max] (name age weight height)=);
run;

Xia Keshan

Regular Contributor

How does idgroup statement works in proc summary?

Super User

?? proc summary is exactly the same with proc means except not printing output .

Super User

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation