32 bit to 64 bit catalogs

Super User
Super User

32 bit to 64 bit catalogs

Hi,

I would just like to check if there is any information out there which would help convert 32bit to 64bit catalogs.  I am aware this has been discussed for somet time, and I believe currently the only method is to go back to the original source and recompile.  However in this situation, we have code which has previously been contracted out, and have recieved the final code + catalogs which worked up unti moving to 64bit.  Now the options as I see it is to license 9.3 for the forseeable future, which is a large cost and needless on top of licensing 9.4, or going back to a company we may not have dealt with in years and creating a new contract to provide archived code in a newer format, again this would be large costs involved.  

I am not sure why there is not a process to upgrade a catalog from one bitness to another?  Personally I avoid all proprietary formats due to these kind of reasons, however in this instance I am stuck with what is, so am now looking for a solutions from those who own the proprietary format.

Super User

Re: 32 bit to 64 bit catalogs

Agree, SAS should have web service that convert catalog entries on the fly, or supply a 32 bit engine.

But in your case, can't see the real difficulty. If you just changed the bits, not the OS, there shouldn't be any higher license cost for you by having parallel 9.3 and 9.4 environments. Don't know the size of the 9.3 to 9.4 (or rather 32 to 64 bit) operation, but I suspect that you should be able to convert all catalogs during a limited time frame...?

Data never sleeps
Super User
Super User

So are you saying there is a method of converting 32bit catalog to 64bit catalog from within SAS 9.3 or SAS 9.4?  We do not have the source text files you see, just a black box library which is the problem.  Hence to get that recompilation we need to go back to those (various) places where it was created and ask them to provide new versions, in some cases years after the fact.

Super User

Without knowing what type of content may be in them I would see what the result of using CPORT from a 9.3 install and CIMPORT in 9.4 might be.

Respected Advisor

[ Edited ]

According to documentation Proc CPORT/CIMPORT also allows to migrate catalogs from 32 to 64bit.

http://support.sas.com/kb/38/339.html

May be this migration could also serve as an opportunity to consolidate the source code used to create these catalogs. Not having the source code will create issues sooner or later (eg. for maintenance, amendments, or compliance requirements).

"to license 9.3 for the forseeable future, which is a large cost and needless on top of licensing 9.4"

SAS licensing is not version but most of the time hardware and user based. I believe you could have two versions in parallel on the same hardware and with the same users without any additional license costs (but of course costs for internal overhead).

Super User
Super User

Hi,

Thanks Patrick.  The problem is the closed mentality of companies.  These catalogs contain small macro's, which due to it being contracted out, are closed source IP.   Ridiculous in this day and age I know, but that is the way it is.  We internally will never have this code and have to rely on this black box approach - trust me, if it was down to me, and I do repeatedly say this time and time again, all code should be plain text, no proprietary closed source technology should be used.  Its slowly happening for example CDISC, however currently we are stuck.  So whilst we can go back to some of previous studies and contract them to provide a new catalog, for others they may not even exist anymore, hence why I am looking for a binary to binary conversion.  

Respected Advisor

Well... from what I read migration of stored compiled macros is not supported but requires the source code and re-compilation; and from what you wrote I don't expect that your customers store the source code in the catalog using the "source" option.

http://support.sas.com/rnd/migration/planning/files/inventory_drilldown.html#compiledmacro

If what you describe is a systemic issue in the industry you're in then it's may-be worth to contact SAS TechSupport (or a SAS domain expert for your industry) and aks for a solution/ideas of how to deal with this.

I'm not aware of some sort of 32bit compatibility mode for SAS 9.4 - but may be there is some undocumented way of how to execute 32bit compiled macros under SAS 9.4.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation