BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
EyalGonen
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi experts,

I am using VI 10.8 and I have a question. I have two groups of users: GroupA and GroupB and also two workflow templates WFA and WFB. When a user belonging to GroupA creates an instance of an internal object I want WFA to automatically start for it and when a user belonging to GroupB creates an instance of the same internal object I want WFB to automatically start for it. I could find a way to accomplish this. Is this doable?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
susantrueman
SAS Employee

Hello, 

Sharing advice and a suggestion from a colleague that may help answer your question. 

Currently, a single workflow is identified for automatic start when an entity instance is created.  There isn’t a selection of workflows that are started based on certain criteria.

You can setup something similar to the workflow below where the main workflow is automatically started and that workflow determines the user group membership and manually starts the workflow you want to run. 

In this case, the script task would make calls to check the running user's group memberships and the REST Service tasks will manually start the selected workflow. For this workflow design, you will need to ensure that the user who created the case/entity instance (the running user) also has the proper capabilities to check their group memberships and be able to manually start workflows ("Start Workflows").

API ref to start workflow: https://developer.sas.com/apis/vi/rest/VisualInvestigator/#start-a-workflow-definition-process-insta...

susantrueman_0-1672830440692.png

Thanks

Susan

EyalGonen
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi @susantrueman 

Thank you!

Can you elaborate please on how to accomplish the task of determining to which group the user belong to ("check which group user belongs to" task in your screenshot)?

Eyal

susantrueman
SAS Employee

Hi @EyalGonen - I will ask some colleagues for their recommendation and update this post shortly. 

Thanks

Susan

EyalGonen
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi @susantrueman 

Do you have any news on this?

Thanks,

Eyal