BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
navyaroopa
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I wanted a format for displaying year when a variable year is in 2 digits and options yearcutoff is used: 

I have done a programing like below mentioned:

data v;
input v $4.;
datalines;
;
run;

option yearcutoff=2000;
data v1(drop=catv);
set v;
if length(v)=2 then do;
catv= input("01/01/"||strip(v),ddmmyy8.);
date=year(catv);
end;
end;

run;

I dont want this big code. Is there any format where i can use and can get my year value in 4 digits. Could someone help me with this.

Many Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Example:

data v;
input v $4.;
date = '2000';
substr(date,4-length(strip(v))+1) = strip(v);
datalines;
;
run;

proc print data=v noobs;
run;

Result:

v     date

17    2017
20    2020
14    2014
1     2001
navyaroopa
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, 

I am vry sorry, i have forgot to mention this , I dont want any value to be hardcoded (date='2000'). I am trying to automate the program.

Many Thanks.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Sorry, how are you planning on automating a process without all the required information?  A year is a four digit number YYYY, if you only have two digits YY, then you will need somehow to specify to the program what the default other two numbers are, is 17 = 1917, 1817, 1717, or 2017?  That is information you have to provide as there is now other logical way of knowing what you think those two should be.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@navyaroopa wrote:

Hi, 

I am vry sorry, i have forgot to mention this , I dont want any value to be hardcoded (date='2000'). I am trying to automate the program.

Many Thanks.

You hardcoded your year with

option yearcutoff=2000;

in your initial post. What needs to be automated?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

So if you know that your YR2 variable is between 0 and 99 then you can just use something like this.

yr4 = year(input(put(yr2,z2.)||'0101',yymmdd6.));

Or were you looking to find an algorithm to implement the year cut off functionality yourself with using any informats?

%let yearcutoff=%sysfunc(getoption(yearcutoff));
data want ;
  input yr2 @@ ;
  yr4 = 100*((yr2<mod(&yearcutoff,100))+int(&yearcutoff/100))+yr2;
  yr4_date = year(input(put(yr2,z2.)||'0101',yymmdd6.));
  put (_all_) (=);
cards;
1 20 25 26 27 30
;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation