BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
is2
Obsidian | Level 7 is2
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello everyone.

Could you please help me knowing the book on c language for beginners.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Erm, this is a SAS forum not a C forum?  Check out one of the forums associated with C or perhaps Amazon.  Although to be fair, most of the basics are pretty straight forward to learn without needing a book, I have used Csharp a fair bit and never bothered with a book. There is a free Csharp compiler/ide at:

http://www.icsharpcode.net/opensource/sd/Default.aspx

Which is what I use.  

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The "Kernighan-Ritchie" (The C Programming Language) is still the bible on basic C.

But be aware that C is nowadays outdated for anything but UNIX kernel or embedded device programming, where speed and a small footprint are of utmost importance.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Fun fact: most of the SAS functions and procedures that we use are implemented in C.

SAS also has some C++, Java, Lua -- and more assembly language than you might expect.

Client apps are C# (EG and SAS Add-In for MS Office), Java (SAS DI Studio and Enterprise Miner), or HTML5 (SAS Studio).

Speaking as someone who learned C in college and even taught a class in it, I think it's an excellent way to learn computing basics and how programs and OSs work together.  C has strict rules, and if you don't follow them your program won't compile or work correctly at all, so it's good for learning some discipline.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Reeza
Super User

You should consider C++ at least..

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I would caution against that.  C is the underlying language of C, Csharp, C++, ObjectiveC amongst others.  So learning the simple form of C, before jumping into memory management (or infact other things like GUI's and such like) would be the best start - then branch out into the larger arenas.  You can use CSharp for instanace without knowing anything about pointers and memory management that C++ has to, and still write industry applications.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation