BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

I haven't had this issue for a while and now it's back.

Could we have a "login again" button when SSO fails rather than the connetion being cut off?

It's impossible to log in from then on.

aaaa.png

24 REPLIES 24
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

+1 for this.

I often have to switch browsers on my tablet, unless I want to clear the whole browser history.

On a desktop I can selectively clear cookies for sas.com, at least in PaleMoon.

Reeza
Super User

I get it every Sunday, so I assume there's some process that runs then and logs everyone off? 

Usually restarting browser makes it go away, But a way to avoid error would be useful. 

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15
Glad I finally found my treatment group :).
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Thanks for this feedback -- I'll check with our IT folks to see what might be going on.

I also saw it a couple of times during the weekend (from a home machine), but chalked it up to weekend work.  When I refreshed I was logged in, no problem.  Now that I see others are seeing issues, I'll pursue it.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I saw that error earlier this week too (Sunday or Monday I think) and had to switch to a different browser to login. I used to get that error quite regularly just after communities switched over from Jive to Lithium, but haven't seen it for a while now.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I've raised this issue with our IT group and they are investigating.  Like many tech problems, this is difficult to replicate.  However, the good news is that I've seen the same problem from home (but not at work).  I've been able to capture some network logs for the team.

You're not supposed to see the HTTP 500 error, but your SAS profile login (used for communities) can "expire" after 7 days (assuming you selected the "keep me logged in" option).  The state is tracked using cookies.  When your login cookie expires, you should see the user/pw challenge for SAS profile.

Normal tech support advice is "delete all of your cookies".  I like to take a more surgical approach.  

In Chrome, you can find just your SAS-related cookies:

cookies.png

Firefox is a little different:

• Paste this in your address bar: about:preferences#privacy
  • Click remove individual cookies
  • Search for sas.com, remove those cookies.

Hopefully this is a one-time action on your part.  But we'll continue to look into it from our side.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Reeza
Super User

@ChrisHemedinger it happens every Sunday. 

Reeza
Super User

And across all devices. Laptop, desktop and tablet/iPad. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The problem comes with the browsers of mobile devices. These often don't have the granularity in deleting the browser history that you get on desktops. You can only remove everything, including all data from other websites.

Reeza
Super User

@Kurt_Bremser Restarting my browser always works, though it's annoying. 

For my iPad that's just swiping up. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Normal tech support advice is "delete all of your cookies".

Can't they just make it smart enough to re-direct to the login page and re-create the cookie when it is expired?

I find that if I close all browser windows and then try again it will successfully go to the logon page.  I find that much easier than trying to locate the cookie to delete.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

@Tom, yes, that's the design -- it is supposed to be smart enough to renew your login (prompting you to sign in as needed).  But since that's sometimes not working, I offered the "delete cookie" approach as a temp fix for people who see this chronically.  In the meantime, our IT staff is looking into it.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Today I was able to clear the error by going to http://support.sas.com and signing out.

Then SAS Communities website started working again.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Thanks Tom -- we're still tracking this.  Our IT folks think they have a patch, but it's a coordinated process to roll it out.  Our single-signon is used by a bunch of systems at SAS.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 16 likes
  • 7 in conversation