BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Here is something that bugs me.  Suppose the OP asks a question, and User1 gives a partial solution and User2 gives a partial solution.   When I respond to this thread, I have to choose one of the items in the thread to Reply to.  Let's say I reply to User2.  That opens a new window and enables me to see the response from User2, but I cannot see the original question or the response from User1.  This makes collaboration difficult. I can no longer see or cut-and-paste from the OP or User1, so it is hard for me to say, "The OP said 'QUOTE THE OP'" and User1 suggested "QUOTE USER1," etc.

Often I create a new browser tab and go to the complete thread so that I can see the details from all previous replies. But this is inconvenient.  I'd like to have an option to see the complete thread while I am responding.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LainieH
Community Manager

@Rick_SAS wrote:

Here is something that bugs me.  Suppose the OP asks a question, and User1 gives a partial solution and User2 gives a partial solution.   When I respond to this thread, I have to choose one of the items in the thread to Reply to.  Let's say I reply to User2.  That opens a new window and enables me to see the response from User2, but I cannot see the original question or the response from User1.  This makes collaboration difficult. I can no longer see or cut-and-paste from the OP or User1, so it is hard for me to say, "The OP said 'QUOTE THE OP'" and User1 suggested "QUOTE USER1," etc.

Often I create a new browser tab and go to the complete thread so that I can see the details from all previous replies. But this is inconvenient.  I'd like to have an option to see the complete thread while I am responding.

Rick, I want to learn more about your experience. I think I understand > you have a list of 3 replies to question 1 and you reply to reply 3 but can't see question 1.

This is a slightly different issue than the user in this feedback post who wants to have additional context for "replying to replies" : https://communities.sas.com/t5/Trailblazer-Lounge/Reply-to-other-than-last-post/m-p/228759  .. in this case,  a short term workaround is to click the Quote message (like I've done here) to insert a quote from the last message. 

However this doesn't solve your particular issue: which I understand can be a problem. Especially if it is a complicated question and you neeed to reference it. 

Have you tried this option yet? 

While in edit mode, you can click the "view dicussion in a popup" below the editor, while editing a post. 

This will open a window or tab separately that will allow you to see the complete thread. Does that help? I'll also look into configuration options just in case.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I agree.  In other forum software I have seen the response box pops out and you can use each separately.  Then hovering over the original responses shows a number indicating a forum post.  In your response you can put:

---

[quote_112]

...snip

[/quote]

I liked this post

[quote_117]

...snip

[/quote]

This one too.

---

To link directly to post numbers.  Might be an option.

ballardw
Super User

The closest I have found for a work-around is instead of clicking on "Reply" to right click on the reply button and open in a new window. Which at least allows switching between tabs/windows to read the base thread.

LainieH
Community Manager

@Rick_SAS wrote:

Rick, I want to learn more about your experience. I think I understand > you have a list of 3 replies to question 1 and you reply to reply 3 but can't see question 1.

This is a slightly different issue than the user in this feedback post who wants to have additional context for "replying to replies" : https://communities.sas.com/t5/Trailblazer-Lounge/Reply-to-other-than-last-post/m-p/228759  .. in this case,  a short term workaround is to click the Quote message (like I've done here) to insert a quote from the last message. 

However this doesn't solve your particular issue: which I understand can be a problem. Especially if it is a complicated question and you neeed to reference it. 

While in edit mode, you can click the "view dicussion in a popup" below the editor, while editing a post. 

This will open a window or tab separately that will allow you to see the complete thread. Does that help? I'll also look into configuration options just in case.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

@LainieH wrote:

That's a good tip. I had not noticed the "View discussion in a popup"  link. This will make it easier to reply to several posts in a single thread.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation