BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
neetesh_2000
Calcite | Level 5

I am using SAS 9.4 in a client server model.

The sas jobs execute on Unix server. There can be many users who can open a dataset for viewing.

Now, when some one opens it for even viewing , and forgets to close it, my job fails when it tries to update those datasets.

Is there any way we can force to update those datasets without the jobs failing ?

Also is there any way if we can know if a dataset is open on someone's workstation?

8 REPLIES 8
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Method 1: Declare a time window for updating datasets and suspend workspace server operations during that time window.

Method 2: Use a trick that I do; I obtain the physical dataset filename from the library definition and the dataset name, and use one of the methods for system commands (X statement, call system() subroutine, %sysexec, filename pipe) to do a "rm -f filename". This works even when someone accesses the dataset. All users who have the dataset open will see the old version until they close and reopen.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

A variation of @Kurt_Bremser's method 1 is to stop and re-start the SAS workspace server services before running any update jobs. This will drop all SAS sessions including any locks they have on SAS datasets.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

@SASKiwi - you mean "SAS workspace server sessions" I guess...?

If you have lots of data, and import updates etc (like en enterprise wide DW) you should consider another storage format that handles concurrent read/update operations. In SAS, SPD Server offers that. And most external RDBMS does as well.

Data never sleeps
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Actually @LinusH I was thinking of the Windows services that run to support a SAS Compute server. Stopping and restarting these drops all user sessions. I guess there is an equivalent under Unix but I'm not so familiar with that as I don't use it currently.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

On UNIX systems, terminating the spawner will not affect client sessions. But one could write a script that finds all workspace server sessions through the peculiarities of their command line, and terminates them.

I prefer my method of deleting the files, as it is less "destructive" for users.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Maybe the hour is late, but I don't think stopping a service will take down workspace server sessions. Perhaps pooled ones, but not the regular ones.
I've used a simple script to kill all SAS (with some exceptions) sessions before the batch starts.
Data never sleeps
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@LinusH - I think you are correct however I should have explained that shutting down metadata server services will do the trick.

BrunoSilva
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

How about to use PROC IOMOPERATE to list and stop your SAS sessions avoidind the jobs to fail the execution.

Here some useful links:

http://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2016/02/15/using-proc-iomoperate/

http://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2016/02/20/proc-iomoperate-custom-task/

Best Regards

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation