BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
arzon
Calcite | Level 5

Hi dear,

I will be grateful if someone can help me with the following query: 

I have cases matched to controls and I need to attribute a value of a case for a given variable to the corresponding matched control. as detailed in the tables below, I need to attribute the value "1" of the "Varx' of the case to the control (case=0) so that the value of the control for varx become 1 instead of missing. 

Input table;

ID   Macth_ID  case   Varx

1     1a              1        1

2     1a              0        .

Output expected: 

ID   Macth_ID  case   Varx

1     1a              1        1

2     1a              0        1

Thanks in advance for your support.

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

Are you implying that your are matching on the Match_ID variable? If so, do you ever have more than two records with the same Match_id? Do you only have one non-missing value for Varx per Match_id?

arzon
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Ballardw

thanks for replying.

The data are already matched using the match_ID variable that identifies matched case and controls. Each case can have more than one control. Varx (that takes value 0 or 1) is missing for all the controls in the dataset but for each matched control the value of Varx is the same as for the case (i.e., if Varx =0 for the case, it should also be 0 for the matched controls). 

Hope this clarify.

thanks again

Reeza
Super User

This is a lookup or merge. 

You can use a data step merge or SQL, and the COALESCE() function is helpful.

Examples and explanations can be found here:

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=lrcon&docsetTarget=n1tgk0uanvisvon1r26lc036k0w7.htm&docsetVer...

arzon
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you reeza for your suggestion and the link you shared. It was helpful.

Have a nice weekend!

AnnaBrown
Community Manager

Hi arzon,

I'm glad you found some useful info! If one of the replies was the exact solution to your problem, can you "Accept it as a solution"? Or if one was particularly helpful, feel free to "Like" it. This will help other community members who may run into the same issue know what worked.

Thanks!
Anna

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XXIX, The SAS Hackathon
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at 10 AM ET | #SASBowl

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation