BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The icon used for the Insert Code button on the editor has changed.

Are there any other changes to the editor or the forum software as a whole?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

We've updated the "media" experience for the community.

Changes:

• Images you add are now displayed inline instead of as attachments
  • When you add an image (Insert Photos button), the upload experience is more modern, allowing drag and drop plus some control over where the image is stored.
  • The "Rich Text | HTML | Preview" tab in the message editor is below the message instead of above
  • Message editor toolbar is a little different, but has the same functions

Messages with attached images will be "migrated" to have the newer inline display.  With as many messages as we have here, this can take a while.

We hope that this makes it easier for contributors and visitors to see the complete message without needing to download image attachments as a separate step.

Chris

mediaexp.png

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

We've updated the "media" experience for the community.

Changes:

• Images you add are now displayed inline instead of as attachments
  • When you add an image (Insert Photos button), the upload experience is more modern, allowing drag and drop plus some control over where the image is stored.
  • The "Rich Text | HTML | Preview" tab in the message editor is below the message instead of above
  • Message editor toolbar is a little different, but has the same functions

Messages with attached images will be "migrated" to have the newer inline display.  With as many messages as we have here, this can take a while.

We hope that this makes it easier for contributors and visitors to see the complete message without needing to download image attachments as a separate step.

Chris

mediaexp.png

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
ballardw
Super User

Of course all of the responses where I was directing people to use the forum {i} icon menu are now confusing and how to describe the new insert code icon is a challenge. I guess that it shows </> but not very clearly at some screen resolutions.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

@ballardw - I know the icons are different in the new message editor.  By updating to the new "media" experience, the new toolbar came "for free" -- changes and all.  We might be able to adjust it to use the old icon if you think it's confusing.  Personally, I don't really care for the "</>" image because it implies "HTML code" to me.

If you notice other strangeness on your screens, let us know.  Add a screenshot if you can, because our display settings might be different than yours.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Good news @ballardw! Got the {i} back.

bar.png

ballardw
Super User

@ChrisHemedinger wrote:

Good news @ballardw! Got the {i} back.

bar.png

Thanks!

I hoped it would not be too complex to point to a different icon somewhere from my limited experience with such widgets.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I (personally) would like to have the

Rich Text   HTML    Preview                                                                     Quote

line back on top. The "Quote" button is right where the "Post" button used to be, and I already can't count the many quotes I had to remove before posting.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@ChrisHemedinger

No blockquoting capability? (Unlike every other forum software that I have used...)

--
Paige Miller
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi @Kurt_Bremser - I moved this back for now.  Our community platform folks advised us to move it to the bottom when we added the media enhancement, but I agree that it works fine from the top.  If it's a problem we may move it back, and it would be just one of those things to get used to.

And @PaigeMiller, you know we have the "Quote" function for including the body of the message you're replying to.  But I get your meaning -- you want a blockquote formatting function on the message toolbar for more general use.  I'll see what can be done.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Good news @PaigeMiller - we'll get the blockquote button -- I've been missing it too.  Adding it requires a small config change that can be done only in certain maintenance windows, so look for this early next week (by Wednesday at the latest).

bq.png

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Thank you!

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

I have to say that there are things I didn't "quote" because I would have been having to delete so much of the source post and some of those seem to get garbled html (or something) when you delete things in the middle.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Block quoting is now In Da House.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair…

You get the idea.  Add text, select it, then click the obnoxiously large doublequote icon in the editor toolbar.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 5 in conversation