BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Can we have the best excerpts(considered by hall of famers and other top notch experts) of SAS L archives  right here in our library. I see some nice articles plus Transpose macro recently by Art T and a few others. Likewise, May i request a possibility of having some great posts in SAS L in our library without having the need for the community members to subscribe in SAS L unless otherwise there are active members of both? Just a thought

12 REPLIES 12
art297
Opal | Level 21

@novinosrin: As one of that list's Hall of Famers, I totally agree that it would be useful. However, good luck getting anyone to evaluate that many posts .. let alone move them. I used to be one of SAS-L's historians and, as of 31Dec2016, the list had amassed 418,441 posts.

Here is a link to one grouping of posts that would fall into the category you're suggesting: http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/Index_to_SAS-L_Chance_to_Make_SAS-L_History_Posts

That, as it turned out, was the impetus for the sasCommunity.org Tip of the Day series. Hopefully, it will be amongst those things moved when the lights are officially turned off at sasCommunity.org.

I've amassed another such listing, namely pointers to all of master Ian Whitlock's posts over the years. I'll try to attach the spreadsheet here, but its size may exceed the allowable attachment size.

Another gem from sasCommunity.org that I hope won't be lost is the page that links to numerous authors' presentation pages: http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/Papers_and_Presentations

However, as for doing something similar with the totality of SAS-L posts, I wouldn't even know when or how to begin.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

(Note: updated 21May2018)

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi @art297, I think you do need to join SAS-L to see the archives -- login is required at least from here.

And @novinosrin, of course (or anyone) can contribute useful SAS-L content here, in the SAS Communities Library.  Simply create New Article, and of course assign full credit to the original author.  At-mention the author if you know he/she is on this community.

As Art says, we can't systematically pull in these archives -- and because there is so much and it spans decades, we would not want to do that anyway.  But we already have a tradition of paying homage to good content that first appeared somewhere else (one example here, and SAS Tips board is another), and helping it to reach new audiences.  The effort is grass-roots and should begin with the content that you find most useful and where you're willing to put the energy into sharing it.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
art297
Opal | Level 21

@ChrisHemedinger: You're absolutely correct about having to register with the University of Georgia Listserv in order to access SAS-L these days. Quite painless and free but, yes, that appears to be the only way to access the list. I've modified my response accordingly.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Thank you @art297 and @ChrisHemedinger for your valuable responses. It was just a wishful thinking as a lot of my mates do not even know about SAS L archives as much as they know our community(here). I was wondering a possibility of link(some kinda extension) from here to SAS L. Perhaps I was overthinking something not easily feasible. Sorry about that

Art had already shared the treasure(Ian's posts) with me 3 years ago on a personal request and I am certainly benefited reading from it. 

Techniques like look ahead(self merge firstobs=2), of course DOW, many others dates to marist sas archives late 80s with great reading ease. So basically, I was trying to bring some awareness

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Good afternoon @art297 and @ChrisHemedinger, I hope your day is going well. Just a thought, is it possible to place the IW workbook attached in this thread in our library ? I felt that's a better idea for folks can find it easier in library rather having to come here. 

If it's not kindly ignore my message. Kind Regards!

art297
Opal | Level 21

@novinosrin: I'd have no problem with that as, since I already posted it somewhere, it's public information. I'll let @ChrisHemedinger chime in regarding his preference for or against redundant posts.

Art

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

@art297  Somewhere is right here in this thread. Did you not notice?

art297
Opal | Level 21

@novinosrin: My memory and perceptiveness are apparently starting to fail. Yes, I agree, a more relevant and easier to find link would be preferable.

Art

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Great & Thank you. I/We(We as in whomsoever benefits) are grateful for the consent and that's a leap. I shall wait for this treasure to be among the other nice ones in our library.

Amazing effort Art!, If you really wanted, you could have got all the help directly from IW as you know him personally and on the other hand us lot who just know him by his name and fame will always remain thankful to you for your selfless service. 

Can't appreciate enough & Best regards as always!

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi @novinosrin - we could do that.  Actually, any of us can by creating a new article in the SAS Communities Library.  But the links will still require membership and login to SAS-L.

A better approach, I think, is for enthusiasts to select the most interesting content from the list and create new articles about each topic.  That will attract new readers via internet/communities search.  As you might know, SAS-L is closed off from Google indexing.  If we want to broaden the audience for these topics, it's best if we curate each item and share "natively" within the community.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
art297
Opal | Level 21

@novinosrin: You could, of course, write some code that accessed the links to each post, copied the post directly to a new worksheet, and, finally, modify the link to point to the just created worksheet. Then, creating the article that @ChrisHemedinger suggested, and attaching the modified workbook, would get around the problem that @ChrisHemedinger mentioned.

Art

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

🙂 That's well beyond my caliber. But I believe I can ask some folks at my DePaul lab to give it a shot ad prolly they may even earn credit for that.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation