Community talk about communities.sas.com. Meta!

Bug when editing existing post

Accepted Solution Solved
Respected Advisor
Accepted Solution

Bug when editing existing post

Suppose I make a post, then afterwards I decide I want to make a change, I go back in and edit the existing post, and when using the "Insert SAS Code" icon/function, new carriage returns that I insert during my edit do not appear as carriage returns when I complete my edits and click on Post. I have observed this a number of times now in different threads.

Example:

Message 6 of https://communities.sas.com/t5/ODS-and-Base-Reporting/changind-the-columns-appearance-in-proc-report...

Here's the Edit view, note that PROC REPORT has four lines, the line that says "define type/across;" (and preceding carriage return) was added during the latest edit, and appears in the Edit view to have proper carriage returns.

Capture.PNG

Then I click on Post, and this is how it appears, the carriage return in front of define type/across; is gone

Capture2.PNG

--
Paige Miller

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎03-27-2018 09:04 AM
Community Manager

Re: Bug when editing existing post

Posted in reply to PaigeMiller

@PaigeMiller When adding or editing a code block, even for something minor like inserting a line, you must use the toolbar button ({i} or "running man") to bring up the separate window and make the change.  From your description it sounds like you did that, but the symptom you describe happens when you don't -- when instead you try to simply make the change inline within the message editor.

It's a confusing nuance of the editor, I know.  I don't have a workaround, but here's hoping that it's a bit better when we update to our responsive design.  Also, we expect some other improvements for the message editor from our communities platform service provider -- later this year.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎03-27-2018 09:04 AM
Community Manager

@PaigeMiller When adding or editing a code block, even for something minor like inserting a line, you must use the toolbar button ({i} or "running man") to bring up the separate window and make the change.  From your description it sounds like you did that, but the symptom you describe happens when you don't -- when instead you try to simply make the change inline within the message editor.

It's a confusing nuance of the editor, I know.  I don't have a workaround, but here's hoping that it's a bit better when we update to our responsive design.  Also, we expect some other improvements for the message editor from our communities platform service provider -- later this year.

Respected Advisor

Posted in reply to ChrisHemedinger

@ChrisHemedinger wrote:

@PaigeMiller When adding or editing a code block, even for something minor like inserting a line, you must use the toolbar button ({i} or "running man") to bring up the separate window and make the change. 

Can you clarify this?

When I perform a later edit on a previously created post, the text in question is already in the "running man" box (because that's how I created the original post), and I edit it. I don't click on "running man" again. Are you saying I should click on the "running man" icon even though the text in question is already in the "running man" box?

--
Paige Miller
Community Manager

Exactly.  As I said, it's confusing.  It's been this way for a long time (years) -- but I'm hoping it will improve when we make our updates.

Respected Advisor

Oh. Well that works. 

--
Paige Miller
Occasional Contributor

Re: Please select a board to continue

Hi Chris,

I'm new to the community and am attempting to load a question.  The page tells me to "Please select a board to continue" and won't allow me to post.  I don't see a place on the page to select a board.  When search for the word "board" only the above statement is highlighted.

I've tried in Chrome and IE.  Both provide the same response.

Please advise,

Thanks,

Jeff

Community Manager

Re: Please select a board to continue

Posted in reply to jbighitter

Hi @jbighitter,

I'll jump in here and help. Simply place your cursor in the field that says "Select a board" and a variety of options appear. If you continue to have trouble, please let us know.

Best,

Shelley

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation