BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

What does a SAS developer do? What does a SAS programmer do? Is there any difference betwwen a developer and a programmer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Interesting questions. A SAS program is made up of SAS language statements also called SAS code. So you could argue that a SAS programmer directly writes SAS programs by typing in SAS code him or herself. A SAS program or group of programs can also be considered a SAS application.

On the other hand there are other ways of developing SAS applications. For example EG projects, DI Studio projects, Dataflux projects, SAS VA applications, Enterprise Miner. Many of these applications generate SAS code behind the scenes but some do not. So a SAS developer could be anyone building SAS applications with any of these non-programming interfaces.

I would argue that SAS developer is a more general term that covers all of the non-programming development tools like those mentioned but also development by writing SAS programs. SAS programmer is arguably a more restrictive term covering those who write code directly. But many SAS users are both SAS developers and programmers so the terms get used interchangeably. I'd be interested in other peoples' opinions.   

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Interesting questions. A SAS program is made up of SAS language statements also called SAS code. So you could argue that a SAS programmer directly writes SAS programs by typing in SAS code him or herself. A SAS program or group of programs can also be considered a SAS application.

On the other hand there are other ways of developing SAS applications. For example EG projects, DI Studio projects, Dataflux projects, SAS VA applications, Enterprise Miner. Many of these applications generate SAS code behind the scenes but some do not. So a SAS developer could be anyone building SAS applications with any of these non-programming interfaces.

I would argue that SAS developer is a more general term that covers all of the non-programming development tools like those mentioned but also development by writing SAS programs. SAS programmer is arguably a more restrictive term covering those who write code directly. But many SAS users are both SAS developers and programmers so the terms get used interchangeably. I'd be interested in other peoples' opinions.   

SamuelRajKandru
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you 🙂

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation