BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SundareshS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I am trying to rewrite various Proc SQL like queries in CAS and have relied on the simple action set for most of them. Perhaps I am missing this in the documentation / examples, but can anyone help me understand how to write a CASE WHEN condition ?

An example would be the code below - I count the number of distinct players per team in the BASEBALL dataset. But what if I need to count only those players who have nruns > X ?

thanks 

Sundar

/* http://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=vdmmlcdc&cdcVersion=8.11&docsetId=casanpg&docsetTarget=p119l8ejs... */

proc cas;
   session mysession;
   simple.distinct / 
      inputs={"Name"}
      table={
      name="baseball",
      groupBy={"TEAM"}
      }
      casout={
         name="bb_summary",
         replace=True
      };
      ;
      table.save /                     /*3*/
      table={name="bb_summary"}
         name="bb_summary.sashdat"
         replace=True
      ;
run;
quit;

2 REPLIES 2
GinaRepole
SAS Employee

If you want something even more like PROC SQL, FedSQL is CAS compatible and can be accessed via PROC FEDSQL.

But since we're going with action sets, I believe that the intent of developers was to follow through with SAS norms and not SQL norms. The SAS syntax norm is use of the IF/THEN statement, which performs the same functions as a CASE/WHEN in SQL. You should be able to see some use of it in this example.

Some not-real and not-working code here to simplify the examples in the above documentation:

PROC CAS;
     IF (nvar > X) THEN RETURN(X);
RUN;

I am not well-versed in CAS action sets yet, but hopefully this helps point you in the right direction!

SundareshS
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you! I did use Fed SQL to carry out the summarization (and we lose nothing from proc sql there) ; I was trying to see if the options provided by CASL fulfill almost everything we do in SQL.

For example - in the SAS Viya Data Studio custom code window, one can either code in data steps or CASL.  Not ideal, (irritating, rather :)) , but just want to make sure we are covered in such situations.

The use of the IF , along with the simple.summary actionsets does do most of what a case when statement does. I just want to be extra sure about a count distinct + CASE WHEN situation though (count(distinct case when...) - let me attempt something and get back

Thanks again.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation